RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Kit/Scratch Built
        Video Wright Model B by Bill Hadden, photos by Pat Daily

#1 Pat Daily Oct 12, 2012 03:13 PM

Wright Model B by Bill Hadden, photos by Pat Daily

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a video and some photos of Bill Hadden and his Wright Model B that I shot a few years ago. It was a bit windy, but Bill used the wing warping well to keep it stable. Note the props are hand carved and powered by a gear and "plastic chain". Bill is one of the world's experts on Wright planes and works at the Wright Experience where he has built several full sized exact replicas of the Wright B. See: http://www.wrightexperience.com

The Wright B is a magnificent model and it takes your breath away watching it fly.

#2 MerlinV Oct 12, 2012 07:41 PM

Great stuff.

What a beautiful model.

Hugh

#3 Trisquire Oct 13, 2012 03:03 PM

I'd like to know more about how he did the belt drives.

#4 Pat Daily Oct 13, 2012 04:42 PM

It is a chain drive, not a belt drive.

#5 Mike-A Oct 14, 2012 01:38 PM

Beautiful! I did the original Wright Flyer back in 2001. It flew fantastic. I never knew that the Wright brothers decided to "turn the plane around" and do away with the canard. I might just have to try this model. I would think it would be a fantastic flyer and easy to trim; am I "wright"?

#6 Trisquire Oct 14, 2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Daily (Post 22992268)
It is a chain drive, not a belt drive.

I knew the real one had chain drives. I just didn't think that was feasible on a small scale. Do you have any close-up pictures?

#7 Pat Daily Oct 14, 2012 10:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the best I can find. I cropped and enlarged it for you. Also Bill with the Wright B. Bill used an old 400 brushed motor hidden in the dummy motor with a gear drive to the sprockets for the props.

#8 Trisquire Oct 15, 2012 11:05 AM

Thanks Pat.

#9 Esprit Model Oct 17, 2012 10:36 AM

Very well done. You have to admit they had booools flying something like that.

Zb/Esprit Model

#10 BMatthews Oct 18, 2012 11:44 AM

I believe that Small Parts has some pretty small chain drive components. Could that be what he used in this model?

I have to say that it sure is an impressive bit of work and very ably flown given the rough looking conditions.

I could see a calm weather/indoor version of this being a real winner too. Lightweight wood and functional rigging could produce what would be an amazing slow flyer.

#11 TJWright Oct 20, 2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-A (Post 22998955)
Beautiful! I did the original Wright Flyer back in 2001. It flew fantastic. I never knew that the Wright brothers decided to "turn the plane around" and do away with the canard. I might just have to try this model. I would think it would be a fantastic flyer and easy to trim; am I "wright"?

Maybe, but I know I am...

#12 peterangus Oct 25, 2012 12:47 PM

A superb achievement.

A masterpiece.