RC Groups

RC Groups
    Life, The Universe, and Politics
        Discussion Recent Jobs Report Already Proven a Lie

#1 Highflight Oct 10, 2012 07:46 AM

Recent Jobs Report Already Proven a Lie

The great jobs report that came out just days ago and was supposedly going to keep Obama in the White House has already been proven wrong.

The numbers, you see, just don't add up.
With all the Obamalies that have been told during the last four years, none of them ever hold up to "the numbers".
This jobs report may be one of the bigger lies told, but people who pay attention still won't fall for it.

Here's a review of "the numbers":

Quote:

Imagine a country where challenging the ruling authorities—questioning, say, a piece of data released by central headquarters—would result in mobs of administration sympathizers claiming you should feel "embarrassed" and labeling you a fool, or worse.
Soviet Russia perhaps? Communist China? Nope, that would be the United States right now, when a person (like me, for instance) suggests that a certain government datum (like the September unemployment rate of 7.8%) doesn't make sense.
Unfortunately for those who would like me to pipe down, the 7.8% unemployment figure released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) last week is downright implausible. And that's why I made a stink about it.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

#2 Boogie_ Oct 10, 2012 08:23 AM

For realz.

All other economic indicators are down. ...and the only Up number is jobs?? (pay no attention to man behind the curtain)

I read somewhere last week that for the amount of jobs created, economic growth would have to be around 5%. Meanwhile, economic growth is actually just over 1%.
...hmmmmm...

#3 DenverJayhawk Oct 10, 2012 08:41 AM

and in other news see below. This Repub conspriacy theory is laughable.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/09/news...html?hpt=hp_t3

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis criticized the conspiracy theories Friday.
"This is a methodology that's been used for decades. And it is insulting when you hear people just cavalierly say that somehow we're manipulating numbers," Solis told CNN.

Meanwhile, BLS denied there was any manipulation of the data or anything out of the ordinary about the unemployment rate calculation.
"No political appointee is involved in the collecting, processing and analyzing of the data," said Thomas Nardone, the associate commissioner for employment and unemployment statistics.

Nardone said the Council of Economic Advisers doesn't get the numbers until Thursday afternoon, and that the Secretary of Labor herself doesn't see them until Friday morning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highflight (Post 22961509)
The great jobs report that came out just days ago and was supposedly going to keep Obama in the White House has already been proven wrong.

The numbers, you see, just don't add up.
With all the Obamalies that have been told during the last four years, none of them ever hold up to "the numbers".
This jobs report may be one of the bigger lies told, but people who pay attention still won't fall for it.

Here's a review of "the numbers":

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

#4 logan5 Oct 10, 2012 08:43 AM

The irony ... is that if people were allowed to stay on unemployment longer, these unemployment numbers would be worse.

#5 DenverJayhawk Oct 10, 2012 09:27 AM

what's ironic is the suggestion that the unemployed are purposefully not filing for unemployment benefits with the hope that Obama will be re elected and will continue to give them their unemployment checks which they won't get by not filing for unemployment.

#6 n00b-E Oct 10, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk (Post 22962220)
what's ironic is the suggestion that the unemployed are purposefully not filing for unemployment benefits with the hope that Obama will be re elected and will continue to give them their unemployment checks which they won't get by not filing for unemployment.

Who made that suggestion?

#7 Sherlock Oct 10, 2012 09:33 AM

Oh jeez another Jobs report truther thread with zero evidence of manipulation:rolleyes:

#8 DenverJayhawk Oct 10, 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b-E (Post 22962242)
Who made that suggestion?

Conspiracists.

#9 n00b-E Oct 10, 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk (Post 22962289)
Conspiracists.

That's not one I've heard. I've heard the one where folks are no longer eligible for benefits so they aren't counted any longer, thus resulting in an artificially low unemployment figure, which seems plausible and nothing at all like a conspiracy.

#10 Highflight Oct 10, 2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock (Post 22962286)
Oh jeez another Jobs report truther thread with zero evidence of manipulation:rolleyes:

If you're sitting in a high school math class, and you tell your teacher that 3 + 5 = 42, don't you wonder if that teacher might think that you "manipulated" the numbers?

Rather than "manipulation", the teacher might instead use the word "wrong".
Same thing.
But if you told the teacher that those numbers were really, really correct even though you KNEW they were wrong, that would be called a "lie".

Thus we come to full circle; the job numbers are a lie because none of the other numbers support the sum total of the report.

#11 Highflight Oct 10, 2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Jeez, you seem to deal with "projection" quite a bit in these discussions.

#12 UlteriorModem Oct 10, 2012 09:48 AM

Huh...

I detect a serious upswing since 2008

http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...a+unemployment

#13 Pipemajor Oct 10, 2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UlteriorModem (Post 22962390)
Huh...

I detect a serious upswing since 2008

Myself included. I mean, we should vote for the guy who loves to fire people?

#14 ambientech Oct 10, 2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Nobody is saying that. They are running out of unemployment benefits and are still unemployed. It is a statistical error not conspiracy

#15 Dave Barrow Oct 10, 2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk (Post 22962289)
what's ironic is the suggestion that the unemployed are purposefully not filing for unemployment benefits with the hope that Obama will be re elected and will continue to give them their unemployment checks which they won't get by not filing for unemployment. .

Got a link to that?