RC Groups

RC Groups
    Dock Talk
        Discussion OT, Happy 50th birthday to the visable spectrum LED

#1 bgnome Oct 09, 2012 03:04 PM

OT, Happy 50th birthday to the visable spectrum LED

which is still better than the LER (light emmiting resistor) that only works for a fraction of a second before all the magic smoke leaks out of it.

The visible light emitting diode turns 50 years old today

I Linked this article here because of how LED's in general have permeated our lives and our model lighting needs. high output light, to energy used. directly linkable to programmable IC's Grain of rice bulbs are nice, but high energy consumption and lots of heat. must be painted, or gelled to get various colors. will eventually burn out. etc.

interesting story and attached video of the inventor. folks said he was nuts for even trying to make a visable spectrum LED, all LED's prior only emitted Infra-red.

enjoy the story folks.

#2 pkboo Oct 10, 2012 01:15 PM

Thx for the heads up Bgnome, great story! Boo ;)

#3 Apismelifera Oct 10, 2012 07:38 PM

Some of the first LED's I bought were shaped like a small cupcake with a gold ring around the sides. Two round gold plated wires out the bottom, one longer than the other, hemispherical red lense, and designed to run at 0.020 amps. Not very bright by today's standards. I would gestimate a 30 degree viewing angle.

I remember making a cluster, six of these for a red flashlight. What impressed me was the lamp ran from a free Radio Shack 9 volt battery for more than a month with about 5 hours a week of use.

Mom didn't notice the red light, (very directional) that came from my room at night. I was reading science fiction when I was supposed to be sleeping. :eek: :D

#4 bgnome Oct 10, 2012 07:39 PM

Not the devils science fiction! I'm suprised that your brain hasn't rotted! :P :D

#5 patmat2350 Oct 10, 2012 08:02 PM

A perfect time to remind everyone of the best development EVUR in LEDs-- the side-emitting WHITE light LEDs now used in Christmas light strings, down to 3mm OD:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20049931