RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Help! Which nice little 3D / Sport aircraft after a UMX Sbach ?!

#1 Guiltz Oct 09, 2012 11:23 AM

Which nice little 3D / Sport aircraft after a UMX Sbach ?!

Hello ! I own a UMX Sbach that flies really great but I would like to get something similar but a little bit bigger so that I can fly when there's a little wind and, well, just have something bigger than the UMX...
I've seen this on HK : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
but I don't really like the look, and the comments about it are not all fantastic.. :rolleyes:

So, if anybody has an idea of what I should have a look at..! :) Something that looks like a Sbach or a SU-26 with a 28" to 36" wingspan and built with a tough EPO foam :p

Thanks in advance..!!

#2 beefxer Oct 09, 2012 03:55 PM

Why not build a Big Flat Ultimate biplane from cheap foam? I haven't built one yet but it's quite a popular 3d foamy. Good luck!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620974

#3 Guiltz Oct 09, 2012 08:12 PM

Yeah, thank you Beefxer, that looks nice...!! But the thing is that I am not really into "building" aircraft as my free time is really "short"..! The thing is that I am looking for is an arf aircraft that i could get somewhere, put one of my rx into and just go fly in the fields right by my house..! And, if possible, something that looks nice like a Sbach or SU-26 (thatīs the kind of aircraft I really like..!!), sooo...
Anything new around here like that would be like the perfect match for me... :-)

#4 JimTMich Oct 10, 2012 07:54 PM

If you want to 3d, go get something from 3d hobby shop. They have a 41" edge that is simply fantastic for true 3d. Fun to sport fly as well. The have some foam planes that are a little smaller as well. www.3DHobbyShop.com

#5 Guiltz Oct 11, 2012 02:23 AM

Thank you Jim...!! What they have seems really nice..! :eek: I'll have a closer look to their range of aircraft today..!

#6 Kris... Oct 11, 2012 02:48 AM

E-Flite Yak 54 Carbon-Z no building required.

#7 Guiltz Oct 11, 2012 03:09 AM

Yeah... that one is just sooo nice... :rolleyes: but also a bit expensive for me.. 250 EUR ($320) ...!! :eek: I might work extra hours at nights to get that one.. !!

But you're right, that's really the kind of things I am looking for..; but a bit cheaper would be better..! :D

#8 Kris... Oct 11, 2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiltz (Post 22970051)
Yeah... that one is just sooo nice... :rolleyes: but also a bit expensive for me.. 250 EUR ($320) ...!! :eek: I might work extra hours at nights to get that one.. !!

But you're right, that's really the kind of things I am looking for..; but a bit cheaper would be better..! :D

If you want cheaper you usually have to build it :D But dont let that put you off ten minutes a day with tutorial vid on utube and you will have a amazing 3D foamy.

I managed it and i am a full time Dad with two kids and looking after baby.

I didnt really want to recommend the one i did but you wanted to just fly ! dont we all:D

This is the one i really think you should get i have two of them and there one of the best 3D foamys there is.....

Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak (3 min 46 sec)

#9 Guiltz Oct 11, 2012 08:35 AM

mmmm... yes, looks like I should think about it.. That also can be a good challenge for me building that kind of aircraft...! ;)

#10 Kris... Oct 11, 2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiltz (Post 22971414)
mmmm... yes, looks like I should think about it.. That also can be a good challenge for me building that kind of aircraft...! ;)

Easy check stage one of the vid

Crack Yak Build Video Part 1 (5 min 53 sec)

Here is the Crack thread see you in there ;) :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1578833

#11 JimTMich Oct 11, 2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris... (Post 22969966)
E-Flite Yak 54 Carbon-Z no building required.

I owned the Yak Carbon Z. It was a nice sport plane, but for post stall 3D it was a real handful. I sold it as the 3DHS 41" edge was soooo much easier to 3D. (3DHS 48" Edge is even easier :) )

The Balsa planes are much stronger than the foam. The hinges snaped off the Carbon z really easily, the elevator counter balance break off in the grass, servo problems right out of the box..... Now, when you slam the carbon Z into the pavement at full throttle it's very repairable. Balsa plane, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

#12 rafe_b Oct 11, 2012 05:11 PM

As usual I'll suggest Hyperion Sniper, Hacker Zoom, or something in the RC Factory lineup. EPP, solid, full-airfoil wings, CF-reinforced wings and fuselage. Attractive factory paint. Tons of fun and will survive severe abuse.

As compared to the Carbon-Z Yak, these are real 3D planes, ie., they're light, and happy in post-stall.

#13 Guiltz Oct 12, 2012 02:30 AM

Thanks a lot to you all...!!

I must say that I was not really wanting to get into those profile foamies because I come from the warbirds side and really like a "scale" look but, watching the vids made me willing to see more and know more about these aircraft... :)

I'll see if I can get more info on a/c from RC Factory or similar by where I live or on the websites I use to order my planes... :popcorn: !!

#14 rafe_b Oct 12, 2012 05:50 AM

If you're after a more scale look, Hacker has some full-fuse EPP foamies as well, just a bit more expensive than their similar-sized profile planes. I love my Hacker Extra 330 (40").

#15 Guiltz Oct 16, 2012 10:07 AM

Thanks rafe_b, I'll have a look soon, I'm kind of busy at the moment... :(

This might be another option for me...!