RC Groups

RC Groups
    Castle Creations
        Discussion CC BEC Pro - Incorrect Output Voltage?

#1 Trellian Oct 09, 2012 06:50 AM

CC BEC Pro - Incorrect Output Voltage?

I recently bought a CC BEC Pro, and after a few flights with unexplained loss of control (leading to crashes), I did some more investigation.

It turns out that the BEC is actually only putting out 4.3V (with no load!), not the 5.1V that is set to. :mad:

So what was happening is that the receiver and mixers were browning out and rebooting.

I experimented a bit, and no matter what voltage I program for, the output voltage is exactly 0.8V less than that, basically from no load to 4 standard servos. I'm running from a 4s 5300mAH pack,

Yes, I have used three different multimeters, because I didn't believe the first one.

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone measure the actual output on their own unit?

The problem is, if I set the output voltage to say 6.3V to compensate, what guarantee do I have that one day the BEC will not suddenly decide to get the voltage right, and fry whatever equipment it is connected to?

#2 Clintstone Oct 09, 2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trellian (Post 22952208)
I recently bought a CC BEC Pro, and after a few flights with unexplained loss of control (leading to crashes), I did some more investigation.

It turns out that the BEC is actually only putting out 4.3V (with no load!), not the 5.1V that is set to. :mad:

So what was happening is that the receiver and mixers were browning out and rebooting.

I experimented a bit, and no matter what voltage I program for, the output voltage is exactly 0.8V less than that, basically from no load to 4 standard servos. I'm running from a 4s 5300mAH pack,

Yes, I have used three different multimeters, because I didn't believe the first one.

Has anyone else seen this? Can someone measure the actual output on their own unit?

The problem is, if I set the output voltage to say 6.3V to compensate, what guarantee do I have that one day the BEC will not suddenly decide to get the voltage right, and fry whatever equipment it is connected to?

You need to contact the repair department @ Castle...

The output control is sort of done in banks... if you are having trouble with the 5.1 output it will be messed up in the entire range...

I never trust any bec voltage until I hook up a meter and test the voltage myself... yes I know you should not have to do this but I test voltage before I ever hook up to my electronics... I do the same thing with all regulators and Becs.

Contact the repair Department and they can get you squared away.

Repairs repairs@castlecreations.com
Phone
(913) 390-6939

*Option 1 - Technical Support
*Option 2 - Repairs
*Option 3 - Sales / Orders

Office Hours: Monday - Friday from 9AM to 5PM CST.

#3 Trellian Oct 09, 2012 08:29 AM

Thanks! I will do that asap. The fast response is much appreciated!

#4 Trellian Oct 09, 2012 10:17 AM

I just called CC, and spoke with Dan. They sound really organised and capable, and have the ability to hook up a unit right there while you are on the phone.

Great service, thank you Dan!

#5 Clintstone Oct 09, 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trellian (Post 22953516)
I just called CC, and spoke with Dan. They sound really organised and capable, and have the ability to hook up a unit right there while you are on the phone.

Great service, thank you Dan!

Awesome... Our Team In KS are great !!!