RC Groups

RC Groups
    Power Systems
        Discussion How to make plane fly slow without stalling?

#1 GuerillaFilm Oct 08, 2012 07:34 PM

How to make plane fly slow without stalling?

Ok, so I just bought a seaplane and plan to weigh down this mother:censored: with a load of fpv/gopro gear to make it fly realllly slow cause i want the people watchin the video to see the mountains in like slow motion. But im wondering how do i make it like not stall up there? It just needs to be almost floating, but not like floating, if you know what I mean.

#2 tlh101 Oct 08, 2012 07:59 PM

Get the weight out! The more weight you add, the faster it has to fly to stay airborne.

#3 rcalldaylong Oct 08, 2012 11:37 PM

Either dump as much weight as possible (post #2), or enlarge the wings. It all boils down to wing loading. The lower the wing loading, the slower you're going to be able to fly.

BTW - weigh down this mother with a load of fpv/gopro gear and make it fly really slow doesn't really go well together.

#4 GuerillaFilm Oct 08, 2012 11:57 PM

ok, it just watched so videos on slow flying planes and its kinda boring, then i watched a video of this gas powered seaplane and I'm thinking how the heck does this guy get this plane to go sooo fast, I mean its going like 100mph or something. Could I put a 9S lipo in my electric seaplane and get the same speed?

Here's the video:
GoPro Seawind Rc plane (15 min 5 sec)

#5 Capt. Crunch Oct 09, 2012 12:02 AM

Answer to #1 is; Light weight; High power; Big, really Big, prop.

#6 eflightray Oct 09, 2012 04:13 AM

GF, have you been flying for long ?, as from some of your posts it's difficult to judge.

Knowing your experience and knowledge always helps with giving good advice.

#7 eflightray Oct 09, 2012 07:27 AM

Do you really intend on trying this -

How to make Seaplane fire resistant?

#8 big bird Oct 09, 2012 09:16 AM

ok, my guess is that you have little experience with airplanes. Adding weight will not "slow them down" but on the contrary, will bring about a higher stall speed.

you will need to do some research and also some calculations too. Simply adding Lipo cells to a given set-up will not increase the performance, at least not beyond a certain rather limited point. What you will do beyond that point is simply burn out your motor, esc or battery.

You need to start understanding what you are dealing with, both aerodynamically and electrically. If you really don't want to do that, then simply copy a successful power system/airframe combo that has the flying characteristics you desire

good luck

#9 GuerillaFilm Oct 09, 2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eflightray (Post 22952385)
Do you really intend on trying this -

How to make Seaplane fire resistant?

Yea eflightray, maybe I'll be the first man on earth to try it.

#10 GuerillaFilm Oct 09, 2012 09:52 AM

yea, big bird i do have little experience with airplanes. I'm coming from a background in R/C cars and Mulitrotors. Planes are new to me, but they seem easier to fly than multirotors, although if I were to fly at high speeds that might pose a challenge.

#11 jtaylor996 Oct 16, 2012 02:12 PM

I do remote sensing for a living. If you want slower vids of the mountains, just fly higher. The satellites I normally use are going 17000+ mph, and we get nice slow steady footage (from 800km up...).

Increasing the perspective distance will make it look slower and smoother.

#12 tomykay12 Oct 29, 2012 09:01 PM

well, I used to fly a skeeter hlg at torrey pines with some eccentric folks. Had alot of fun attaching a .049 size prop on the nose with a screw, and just let it spin. Granted, there was abundant lift, but that plane barely moved through the air, and made alot of noise. The hardest part was flying it while laughing uncontrollably. Great times, tk

#13 crash74 Oct 30, 2012 07:47 PM

just slow the video down when you edit it!!