RC Groups

RC Groups
    Engines
        Discussion leo engine

#1 luker737 Oct 08, 2012 01:17 PM

leo engine

Has anyone used one of the those leo glow engines that hobbyking sells .Are they good or will i have trouble with it.

#2 williame3590 Oct 08, 2012 01:53 PM

Buy an OS or similar, you can't go wrong and they are quite plentiful these days NIB or used.
I think I have a couple of those Leo's that I aquired somewhere and they are both in the parts bin.

Bill

#3 fiery Oct 08, 2012 03:41 PM

Leo engines

Most users are well satisified.

The .40 and .46 are copies of the old O.S. SF 40 and 46 and parts can be interchanged.

The .37 is a screamer, very highly regarded, but now discontinued.

#4 jeffie8696 Oct 08, 2012 09:35 PM

I have worked on one and it didnt really impress me. Typical Chinese carb trouble.
I lean towards getting a used one from a friend of mine who owns brucercengines.com. You can probably get a good running OS or Thunder Tiger for the same money.
And I bet his shipping is a lot lower coming from Iowa than China.

#5 GeoffinIN Oct 10, 2012 11:34 AM

I had a Leo .46 that had an exceptionally tight piston/cylinder fit. Took forever to loosen up, but ran well once it did. IMHO, a good entry level engine. I gave mine away along with the plane (an ARF rescued from a trash can and rebuilt) it was in to a new member of the club I was in some years ago. He was quite happy with it. (The engine, not the trash can)

Geoff

#6 fiery Oct 14, 2012 09:35 PM

Leo Engines

Now known as INC.

Still available.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...assembly_.html

#7 jeffie8696 Oct 15, 2012 10:30 AM

$82.98 to my door for the INC 46.
Bruce currently has a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 for $78 included shipping.
I am not trying to start an argument just trying to help out.
I bought a Thunder Tire Pro 46 for my sons trainer and I love it.
I also notice he has an new Evolution 46 for $88 shipped.
He might even be negotiable on some of his stock.

#8 fiery Oct 15, 2012 05:40 PM

No argument at all Jeffie. The TT .46 is a superb engine, and great value for the price.

I believe this INC .46 engine and it's .40 size siblng would be a good parts scource for anyone wanting to re-build and OS SF .40 or .46, as OS parts for these are now extremely hard to come by. The INC engines also now claim to use a true ABC piston / liner.

I re-built my OS .46 FX with an ASP "S" series .46 piston and liner from Hobbyking (about $17). The parts dropped right in. It now runs more powerfully and reliably than it ever did with the stock OS ABL liner, which wore out very quickly.

The ASP liner has real chrome plating.

A nice engine saved.

The ASP parts out of the packet even look better finished than the OS parts did. How times change.

#9 jeffie8696 Oct 15, 2012 06:09 PM

I sold somebody an OS46FX and afterward found it has some plating coming off, I picked up an ASP 46 P&L for it like you did but he is still flying the plane without any complaints. :rolleyes: Guess I will save it for any 46FX I pick up in the future.