RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamy EDFs
        Build Log Hobby King/Shuttler F-15 70mm

#1 fredmdbud Oct 01, 2012 08:07 PM

Hobby King/Shuttler F-15 70mm

Got one of these from Hobby King, ARF/PNF:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10420

With stock motor and fan, the plane is a leisure flyer with a 3S 2200mAH battery - don't even think of doing anything more than circles and a landing, and 4S is an ESC thermal shutdown waiting to happen.

I purchased it thinking it might essentially be an unpainted Freewing 64mm F-15 in unpainted EPO. If you're going to apply the supplied decals for decoration, wipe down the parts first, because they don't stick - must have been some mold release agent still on the plane.

Comparing the two, this plane has a generally slimmer profile, but even more significant is it's lighter. Now that I've flown it assembled, I'm going to do my franken-plane bit and do some mods:
  • Upgraded power plant (ESC, fan, motor)
  • Separate ailerons and flaps
  • All-flying stabs
  • Rudders
I used Foam-Tac to assemble the plane, so the parts I glued came off with not too much work. The glue job done by the factory is another story. The fan hatch is secured using double-sided tape on the bottom of the of the duct, so had to carve a notch in the fuselage to get a fingerhold to work it off. Peeking inside after removing the fan, the fuselage is hollow construction, plenty of room to route the servo cables for the rudders and ailerons, so I did some more cutting to remove blocks of the fuselage that are simple to re-attach.

I'm not going to make this plane a bullet, just add enough power and control surfaces to make it more agile in the air, so I'm not going to bother with carbon-reinforcing the wings, though that could still be a later option.

Pictures to be posted as the project moves along ...

#2 Stuey Oct 02, 2012 07:38 AM

I have been tempted by one of these as an easier alternative to get my Minifan/HET 2W-20 combo into. I have a Graupner version in EPP(?) but is has a 64mm fan, and squeezing a 70mm in is a pain. Its the postage costs from HK that have put me off.
If you are considering a 4S combo I have used the Minifan/HET2w-20 in a few models with a 2650 pack, gives a good balance between weight/duration and good power.

#3 genghiskt Oct 02, 2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredmdbud (Post 22887887)
Got one of these from Hobby King, ARF/PNF:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10420

With stock motor and fan, the plane is a leisure flyer with a 3S 2200mAH battery - don't even think of doing anything more than circles and a landing, and 4S is an ESC thermal shutdown waiting to happen.

I purchased it thinking it might essentially be an unpainted Freewing 64mm F-15 in unpainted EPO. If you're going to apply the supplied decals for decoration, wipe down the parts first, because they don't stick - must have been some mold release agent still on the plane.

Comparing the two, this plane has a generally slimmer profile, but even more significant is it's lighter. Now that I've flown it assembled, I'm going to do my franken-plane bit and do some mods:
  • Upgraded power plant (ESC, fan, motor)
  • Separate ailerons and flaps
  • All-flying stabs
  • Rudders
I used Foam-Tac to assemble the plane, so the parts I glued came off with not too much work. The glue job done by the factory is another story. The fan hatch is secured using double-sided tape on the bottom of the of the duct, so had to carve a notch in the fuselage to get a fingerhold to work it off. Peeking inside after removing the fan, the fuselage is hollow construction, plenty of room to route the servo cables for the rudders and ailerons, so I did some more cutting to remove blocks of the fuselage that are simple to re-attach.

I'm not going to make this plane a bullet, just add enough power and control surfaces to make it more agile in the air, so I'm not going to bother with carbon-reinforcing the wings, though that could still be a later option.

Pictures to be posted as the project moves along ...

Did you got this mix up?? It is a 70mm F-15. If you look under tian sheng F-15 in youtube you will see many fly good out of stock. I have a few of this kit.
I don't what HK package it setup, I guess you just need a better motor.

#4 fredmdbud Oct 03, 2012 05:40 PM

Yup, it is indeed a 70mm motor. The Freewing F-15 is a 64mm, and the airframes are so close in size, and the performance was so middling, that I thought it was 64mm. The motor compared to a stock Exceed 70mm, which is what I am putting in, is noticeably lighter.

#5 fredmdbud Oct 03, 2012 05:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some pictures of the plane so far ...

#6 flightdeck Oct 05, 2012 01:08 PM

I have the same kit.Looking forward to your build suggestions.

#7 fredmdbud Oct 06, 2012 03:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We have a rudder ...

Update: Both rudders are now complete

#8 fredmdbud Oct 06, 2012 09:50 PM

Ready for maiden!

Shuttler/Tian Sheng F-15 modded w/ailerons & rudders (0 min 21 sec)

#9 m_ark Mar 27, 2014 05:37 AM

I know it's been a while, but did you maiden this? How did it go?

#10 fredmdbud Mar 28, 2014 07:00 AM

Sure did, it flew several times. It flew as expected, not a speed demon, nicely.

#11 Gerry Santos Mar 28, 2014 06:57 PM

Is this plane still available at HK Its not in their site but the link still works.

#12 fredmdbud Mar 30, 2014 10:16 PM

No, it's been backordered for as long as I can remember, but I haven't been checking regularly.

#13 cnchelicopter Apr 24, 2014 02:58 PM

Nice..I have one..NIB..maybe I should start building it. What is your CG