RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Kit/Scratch Built
        Build Log AerodromeRC Sopwith Camel 1/9 Scale

#1 Shnokey Oct 01, 2012 11:26 AM

AerodromeRC Sopwith Camel 1/9 Scale

1 Attachment(s)
Well I started the Sopwith Camel in the modeling of B6299 Lieutenant Normal Miers MacGregor of 19th squadron RNAS B flight. This is an AerodromeRC kit – but I’m making some changes from the original design. I pulled apart the front fuselage so I could add scale stringers and siding, and a scale cockpit with floor, wicker chair (yes, I will make a wicker chair) and operating controls – the stick will move with the ailerons and the elevator, the rudder bar will be connected to the rudder servo and seeing there is no throttle – it saves me from connecting that.

#2 Shnokey Oct 01, 2012 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tail surfaces are built right on the plan and are straight forward. I built the split elevator because I am going to incorporate duel pull-pull lines to the tail – but I will still connect the two elevator half’s with a small dowel, so in case one side pulls differently I don’t end up with an “aileron effect” on the tail.

#3 Shnokey Oct 01, 2012 11:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The aft end of the fuselage is square stick, and again, very straight forward. The fuselage is built in two sections, the front as a “box” and the rear stringers. The plans have small 1/16 square balsa supports, but I am not going to use them, and instead rig the entire tail with Kevlar thread – both on the sides and the top – like the real one did with flying wire - little if not measurable weight gain, but will add a significant about if rigidity to the tail section – might even survive one of MY landings.

The cockpit is getting most of my attention lately with brass instruments, a full compass, and a modified instrument panel. – Should look great with the wicker chair – (Just started that)

#4 jace314 Oct 01, 2012 12:13 PM

Its looking awesome so far!

#5 Deuce Oct 01, 2012 12:17 PM

:popcorn:

#6 mtflyr Oct 01, 2012 01:05 PM

Woo Hoo, great scheme love Mark Miller's rendition inTHe History of No.10 Squadron RNAS.

I got the book for a Sopwith Triplane I did a while back. In the RNAS book it was a 10 Squadron plane before going to No.9.

I also plan on doing a Micro version of this Camel.

Excellent work.

Pete

#7 Shnokey Oct 01, 2012 01:10 PM

If you want an incredible read (I could not put it down) and you have interest in early Naval air - or just the "other" side of the air war: Read A History of No. 10 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service, in World War I [Hardcover]

http://www.amazon.com/History-Squadr...9115009&sr=1-2

Marks Miller's artwork and great writing -

#8 Shnokey Oct 01, 2012 01:11 PM

I want to re-do the panel tonight - the last coat of shellac brought the gloss up too much for my liking -

#9 Shnokey Oct 02, 2012 07:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
MUCH better panel - sometimes you have to do things a few times to get it right - in the last photo is the picture of a WW1 aviator's Girl in 1918 with a "colored" process for the print- The rich and famous had the money to "color" their photo's - 4000 dpi scan and printed on a high-res printer @ 4000 dpi - the picture replicates a 5X7" personal photo - :) The yellow lines on the green mat are 1" apart - I love technology...

#10 floss Oct 02, 2012 08:14 PM

The detailing on various models on this site is something else, we're now going in to pilots personal effects! :popcorn:

Nicely done.

#11 Monza Red Oct 03, 2012 02:33 PM

Her clothes are ten years out of fashion for 1918.....or did the pilot prefer older women?

#12 Shnokey Oct 03, 2012 02:52 PM

hahaaa - Maybe it was his mom? :) - from: http://e-vint.com/early.html

I liked the "colored picture" and the style -

#13 Shnokey Oct 03, 2012 03:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm going in.... If I'm not back in three days - send Beer and more Thatch - Tell my wife I'm working on fixing the furniture - Smaller picture is the goal - :D

#14 phillip57 Oct 03, 2012 05:01 PM

Nice!

#15 Shnokey Oct 05, 2012 03:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Head up - take breath - sip of favorite beverage - Back for round 2 - Going together as planned - still have to tighten up everything and align the wicker - so you may see some straggler threads that need trimming.... - should be ready for a thinned coat of Shellac by day's end - Then it's seat belt and leather trim time...