RC Groups

RC Groups
    Power Systems
        Discussion Motor-ESC connectors?

#1 Anjan Babu Sep 30, 2012 08:47 AM

Motor-ESC connectors?

what sort of connectors, can I use for hooking up my motor to the ESC, besides the usual bullet connectors?
My motor draws about 30amps on a 7x6 prop, so the connectors must be capable of handling atleast 30A.

#2 muncheyboy Sep 30, 2012 09:17 AM

conectors

i just got back from wallmart with a new soldering iron. i sat down & was just about to look around & ask. i forgot to look for diffrent conectors, if i see any thing ill let you know, :D. larry...

#3 C₄H₁₀ Sep 30, 2012 09:48 AM

3.5mm bullet connectors are pretty standard in that current range. They can be found pretty much anywhere that sells motors and ESCs. Males go on the motor, females on the ESC. Solder 'em on, cover with heatshrink. Done.

#4 jackerbes Sep 30, 2012 09:51 AM

There are many choices, here is just one listing:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ORS/Categories

For a 30A rated motor I would use 3.5mm bullets on the ESC (sockets) to motor (bullets) connections. I like the 3.5mm bullets as a good all around size for motors bigger than 40 grams or so up to over 100 grams. That way I can mix and match my ESCs and motors as much as I want or need to.

For the battery I am a Dean's Ultra person. Or the T-plug cones. On the clones I like the ones with the "X" pattern molded into them as they are easier to get a grip on.

Others will prefer XT60, EC3, APP, or whatever they got started with on batteries. It makes sense to have the same connector on most of your batteries. And the socket or female should be on the battery and the male on the ESC so that you do not have exposed contacts with voltage on them.

Jack

#5 peterangus Sep 30, 2012 10:01 AM

Three small blobs of solder per motor is all that is required.

Lighter, neater, quicker, universal, more reliable.

#6 muncheyboy Sep 30, 2012 09:04 PM

conectors

thanks for the in put, i never knew about heads up. iam in myrtle beach, thats just down the road from me = 2-3 day delevery :D!

#7 jackerbes Oct 01, 2012 08:02 AM

Great people to deal with, Jeff is a flyer and understands our needs.

Jack

#8 LawnDartMike Oct 11, 2012 06:05 AM

What would be the amp limit on the 3.5mm connector? I have a 60 amp esc with 4mm on it but will only be running around 45 amps through it. I hate to buy the 4mm when I have a bunch of 3.5mm laying around.

#9 jackerbes Oct 11, 2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnDartMike (Post 22970606)
What would be the amp limit on the 3.5mm connector? I have a 60 amp esc with 4mm on it but will only be running around 45 amps through it. I hate to buy the 4mm when I have a bunch of 3.5mm laying around.

The 60A rating is the max amount of current the motor will be allowed draw safely, on the motor leads that would be divided into three equal smaller and intermittent loads.

I would not hesitate to try the 3.5mm connectors even if I were going to hit the 60A peak momentarily and occasionally. I'd give a five to ten second full throttle static test run and feel the connectors by hand. And unless they were hot I'd consider it to be fine.

Jack