RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Heli Talk
        Discussion Bird Attacks ???

#1 08charger3.5 Sep 26, 2012 11:13 PM

Bird Attacks ???

So today Im flying my v911 outside and around 50 feet or so I noticed a little bird change course and try to catch the helicopter. Insects also, Ive seen butterflys and dragonflys go right after the helicopter. Even later when I took the helicopter back up, at least 5 or 6 buzzards came over the tree line and started circleing. I guess my questions are does anybody else notice a birds resentment for rc heli's and planes? Why are they so interested in the little aircrafts and why do the birds attack them?

#2 stoneenforcer Sep 26, 2012 11:42 PM

their territorial animals

#3 RFDelie Sep 26, 2012 11:59 PM

One time my Cat climbed up to the top of the couch and leaped into the air intercepting my v911 like a patriot missile. Although I think the blades rang her bell because she has not gone after it since.

#4 08charger3.5 Sep 27, 2012 08:50 AM

I didnt realize birds were so mean.

#5 08charger3.5 Sep 27, 2012 08:51 AM

Yeah Im waiting for one of these birds outside to actually come in contact. There getting close.

#6 minbari Sep 27, 2012 10:09 AM

I had a crow chasing my razor once. I just landed it. something that big wouldnt survive a blade strike, but neither would the heli, lol.

#7 karlik Sep 27, 2012 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm up in the northwest - learned to fly on a falcon 40 FP. When I got past learning to hover and orientations and started to fly around, the original paint on the canopy got real hard to see against the fir trees in the background, so I repainted with fluorescent paint.
On my second test flight, a female hummingbird came in too close and I stopped and went into hover. She came in real close, then flew away a little, stopped, and flew away little, then came back close, did a little left and right stuff, backed off a little and waited… I really got the impression she saying “follow me.”
While she was flirting with my heli, I realized it looked an awful lot like a male hummer – all yellow with a bright red chest and throat.
I don't think she actually thought it was a male, but I'm pretty sure she was trying to figure out what it it really was.

#8 metalbenderusn Sep 27, 2012 11:23 AM

I've had 'em chase my helicopters, EDF jet, and planes. Sometimes they get pretty agressive but I have never come back with battle scars yet. It's kind'a fun to mix it up with 3 birds going after my EDF F-16 and makes for an interesting flight.:D

#9 Hajile Sep 27, 2012 12:31 PM

Bird vs RC Plane (4 min 17 sec)

#10 jasmine2501 Sep 27, 2012 12:45 PM

Helicopters announce their presence in a lot of different ways, and animals do take notice. Dragon flies are aggressive territorial predators, and will attack almost anything flying in their space. It is a somewhat worthless attack though, it can't really do any damage.

#11 finguz Sep 27, 2012 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While hovering my 450 I had a green fig beetle come out of nowhere and fly straight into and on top of my rotor disc. When it hit it just shot up and far away, super fast. I was like whoa! Time seemed to slow down as I watched it. The next day I found half of him in the same area I was hovering, maybe he almost made it through the rotors but got chopped.

Yeah some birds act weird when I fly around here, or they start coming around more, but I think they're more curious than anything.

#12 08charger3.5 Sep 27, 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajile (Post 22849856)

I seen this video. Laughed my ass off the whole time.

#13 shahram72 Sep 27, 2012 09:06 PM

Added that video to my favorites. Yes, I was also laughing the whole time. That is hilarious!

#14 Hajile Sep 27, 2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08charger3.5 (Post 22853059)
I seen this video. Laughed my ass off the whole time.

Bird Attacks RC Predator RQ-1L and Crashes it (6 min 24 sec)

Bird damaged the rear prop and crashed. Not much bird attacks on helis on youtube i'm afraid.

#15 Znybar Sep 27, 2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajile (Post 22853971)

Bird damaged the rear prop and crashed. Not much bird attacks on helis on youtube i'm afraid.

I don't think birds would do so well against anything larger than a 250 size...

I've had magpies go after a few of my planes, they didn't seem to have the speed to keep up though (just punch the throttle when they got close). This would be an issue for slow ones though!