RC Groups

RC Groups
    Mini Multirotors
        New Product New GWS props for mQX!

#1 heli-yeah Sep 21, 2012 11:18 PM

New GWS props for mQX!
 
4 Attachment(s)
Well guys, the folks at GWS have given us a true performance upgrade!

I have only received them days ago, but I can tell you confidently from the testing that I've put them through, they are tough!

They weigh the same as stock but are a slimmer profile, and are excellent for acro, my flips are a lot faster (doubles are a breeze, triples are now doable), the controls are much more crisp, and the throttle is even more responsive!

They have a 4.3" pitch (more aggressive than stock), are 5.4" long (same as stock), and they are available in White, Black, Orange, and Grey.
This is the only source I can find right now. GWS EP5443/EP5443R If anyone knows of other sources please chime in!

On the website they are not advertised as mQX props ( In fact they are specified for direct drive applications, not geared ) but the length was right, and I could see from the photo on the site they looked very similar to the mQX design, so I took a gamble, and boy did it pay off!

Here are some side by side comparison photos against stock props...

Attachment 5174684 Attachment 5174685 Attachment 5174687 Attachment 5174686
I even re-installed my 1-cell battery alarm, as it now has enough punch to support the added weight, and still tumble like nobody's business!

#2 Symantics Sep 22, 2012 06:53 AM

Any chance of some flight footage?

#3 jlcamp7 Sep 22, 2012 09:03 AM

Sweet good find. Hopefully they will show up on some US sites soon.

#4 erdnuckel2 Sep 22, 2012 09:27 AM

would it really be so difficult to call there ? :confused:

http://www.gwsus.com/english/company/company.htm

Or did I MISS anything?:o

#5 jlcamp7 Sep 22, 2012 10:08 AM

Haha I guess I never realized gws was stationed in the US. I'm going to talk to radicalrc and see if they would be willing to carry them.

#6 flying-llama Sep 22, 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heli-yeah (Post 22801390)
Well guys, the folks at GWS have given us a true performance upgrade!

I have only received them days ago, but I can tell you confidently from the testing that I've put them through, they are tough!

They weigh the same as stock but are a slimmer profile, and are excellent for acro, my flips are a lot faster (doubles are a breeze, triples are now doable), the controls are much more crisp, and the throttle is even more responsive!

They have a 4.3" pitch (more aggressive than stock), are 5.4" long (same as stock), and they are available in White, Black, Orange, and Grey.
This is the only source I can find right now. GWS EP5443/EP5443R If anyone knows of other sources please chime in!
...

Nice find! By measuring and calculating, I estimate the stock pitch at ~1.5 inch.
From the pictures, the GWS ones look especially narrow near the tips (where the most lift and drag occur).
The stock ones have a lot of undercamber. I am guessing the GWS ones have less (closer to a flat blade)?

I am wondering how flexible, durable and flight time the GWS ones are compared to stock?

#7 flying-llama Sep 22, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcamp7 (Post 22803961)
Haha I guess I never realized gws was stationed in the US. I'm going to talk to radicalrc and see if they would be willing to carry them.

Three other places that tend to sell GWS props: bphobbies, tower hobbies and lazertoyz.

#8 jlcamp7 Sep 22, 2012 01:07 PM

It looks from the pics on GLB a pair includes one cw and one ccw. Can you confirm this? If so thank you gws for selling in pairs that make sense. When I wanted to change out my stock props on my mqx I had to purchase four packs of blades in order to have the right combination direction/colorwise. Not sure why the stock pair packaging comes with two props that are the same direction.

#9 jlcamp7 Sep 22, 2012 01:12 PM

Also how long did it take for you to get them in. I'm really antsy to try these out.

#10 heli-yeah Sep 24, 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symantics (Post 22802918)
Any chance of some flight footage?

Yesterday was too windy, but I will try to get some video up this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 (Post 22803695)
would it really be so difficult to call there ? :confused:

You tell us!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcamp7 (Post 22803961)
Haha I guess I never realized gws was stationed in the US. I'm going to talk to radicalrc and see if they would be willing to carry them.

Let us know what they say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying-llama (Post 22804755)
The stock ones have a lot of undercamber. I am guessing the GWS ones have less (closer to a flat blade)?

I am wondering how flexible, durable and flight time the GWS ones are compared to stock?

They are just about flat, but there is a very small amount of undercamber.

After fully testing there durability, I can attest that they are every bit as tough as the stock props. I have managed to bend one in a bad crash, and just like the stockies, they can be bent back to shape, and fly like new again.

The fight time seems comparable to a stock set-up, if not a bit longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcamp7 (Post 22805041)
It looks from the pics on GLB a pair includes one cw and one ccw. Can you confirm this?

They are sold by GLB as a CW/CCW pairs, but are packaged individually by GWS as a 5443 (CCW), or 5443R (CW).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcamp7 (Post 22805074)
Also how long did it take for you to get them in. I'm really antsy to try these out.

20 days, on the slow boat...

#11 jlcamp7 Sep 24, 2012 09:45 AM

Dave from RadicalRC shot me back an email. Here was his reply:

"I have a sample of these props from another MFG. Looks like a real genuine GWS part number you have there but they don't list it on the USA distribution web site. They are way behind on inventory, like 3 months. There are rumors of a container by the end of September. I'll be watching for it.

From the other MFG, I'll be ordering those to have on hand. At the moment I only have a sample set, not marketable inventory. So, check back with me in a couple weeks. I don't remember the size off hand but they look like the photo on that website you linked."

So it looks promising that they are going to try and get a hold of them. It will be great to have a US supplier. I'll let everyone know when/if they show up on the radicalRC website. By the way if you've never ordered from there it's a great place to get props and some other hard to find items. Best part is no matter how much you order shipping is a flat $3.

#12 flying-llama Sep 24, 2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heli-yeah (Post 22801390)
Well guys, the folks at GWS have given us a true performance upgrade!
...
They weigh the same as stock but are a slimmer profile, and are excellent for acro, my flips are a lot faster (doubles are a breeze, triples are now doable), the controls are much more crisp, and the throttle is even more responsive!

They have a 4.3" pitch (more aggressive than stock), are 5.4" long (same as stock), ...

They probably have a higher pitch speed than stock, so my guess is that they will also deal with wind better than stock.
I need to try these props!

One thing about GWS. Their 300 size planes with brushed motors and NiCAD/MH batteries have gotten left behind. But with this quad and especially the similar size Parkzone/Eflite planes, GWS seems to have popular small (5 to 6 inch) props.

#13 heli-yeah Sep 24, 2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying-llama (Post 22823759)
my guess is that they will also deal with wind better than stock.

They do handle the wind better. Yesterday was a bit blustery, but today was only breezy, so I took it out for a test flight. The wind was not as much of an issue as with the stock props, the flight was much more enjoyable, and not so much of a fight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcamp7 (Post 22820072)
Dave from RadicalRC shot me back an email.

Thanks for your efforts!

My legwork didn't yield any more favorable results. I talked to a rep. at GWS/US today, and he said they're still not available in the US, but they should be coming soon.

Maybe it's time for a group buy @ $1.71 a pair.

#14 installerblizz Sep 24, 2012 08:42 PM

Do you think these would help with the wobble of death that occurs when descending straight down with the V929? (Does the MQX do that too?)

#15 heli-yeah Sep 24, 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by installerblizz (Post 22825780)
Do you think these would help with the wobble of death that occurs when descending straight down with the V929? (Does the MQX do that too?)

Perhaps...

I have never had trouble with descending straight down, but my mQX has always had a little washout tendency in high speed climbing , and descending turns, that required me to ease off, and recover. I have yet to experience it with these props.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.