RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring
        Question OLY II flaps or no flaps?

#1 ozmo01 Sep 18, 2012 12:21 AM

OLY II flaps or no flaps?

Hey,
Snagging an OLY II or MM Sceptor to be an ALES ship. My question is to do flaps or not. I will maintain stock dihedral etc. Just enough motor etc to get it up to 200 M in 30 seconds. SO would you do flaps ???:confused:

#2 tkallev Sep 18, 2012 02:13 AM

Yes

#3 Curtis Suter Sep 18, 2012 04:17 AM

Ansolutely!

Have fun, ALES is great!
Curtis

#4 Hawksnest Sep 18, 2012 09:27 AM

I fly both spoilers on a Big Bird, and flaps on another Big Bird. I learned to land years ago with spoilers. If you don't understand how to use spoilers, I would put flaps on. Sometimes I would rather have a clean wing to thermal, than to have flaps just to land or turn better. On windy days, above 15-20 mph, I like flaps better for control.
Ray Hayes taught me long ago the merits of a clean wing for thermalling in lighter air. Bill G.

#5 jcstalls Sep 18, 2012 10:29 AM

For ALES I would do flaps. They can do more than just helping in the LZ.
If you do spoilers, at least move them back to the minimum AMA distance from the trailing edge.

Jared

#6 Hawksnest Sep 18, 2012 10:59 AM

Yup, 2 inches, I forgot that. Gets them out of disturbing the high lift area of the wing, and also more productive. Also, when I fly flaps, in lighter lift, I turn them off to climb and thermal, only turning them on to come down and land. I don't fly ailerons. BG

#7 jaizon Sep 18, 2012 04:58 PM

Flaps.

#8 ozmo01 Sep 18, 2012 11:17 PM

Flaps it is

OK guys
I have not seen the plans for the Scepter. Does it have a plan option for flaps?
Or does anyone have an example pic etc of a flap install. I am a fair builder but don't wanna reinvent the wheel or add unneeded weight.