RC Groups

RC Groups
    RC Hovercraft
        Build Log Scrachbuild Rc hovercraft MAX FORCE XRT-617

#1 hovermaniac Sep 12, 2012 01:15 PM

Scrachbuild Rc hovercraft MAX FORCE XRT-617
 
Started building it in march 2012. Now its allmost finished
Lenght-85cm
Weight about-2,5kg
Skirt made out of ripstop nylon
Thrust motor-89mm edf unit 1300w outrunner 3800kv brushless
lift is provided by 54mm edf 500w outrunner 4200kv
One steering servo Towerpro with metal gears 12kg max torque.
Headlock gyro gives super stability in steering
All the electronics are powered by 3s lipo 5000mah
This sis just a short overview of the hovercraft, if i have more time i will take some pics. and write more about the building process.

RC Hovercraft Max Force XRT 617 (0 min 33 sec)

#2 jnoetzelmann Sep 12, 2012 08:04 PM

Very, VERY, cool!

#3 Timtreo Sep 21, 2012 12:01 AM

Very cool! I think this will be my next project when I get some time. Have you tried it over water yet? Most of the DIY hovercraft builds I've seen look very DIY, but yours came out awesome looking and fast too. Mind posting any electronics specs you used (motor +prop size, 1 or 2? and esc/s)? Thanks, Tim

EDIT Sorry didn't see your other post with the specs until right now, nice!

#4 hovermaniac Sep 21, 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timtreo (Post 22791962)
Very cool! I think this will be my next project when I get some time. Have you tried it over water yet? Most of the DIY hovercraft builds I've seen look very DIY, but yours came out awesome looking and fast too. Mind posting any electronics specs you used (motor +prop size, 1 or 2? and esc/s)? Thanks, Tim

EDIT Sorry didn't see your other post with the specs until right now, nice!

Hi
It goes as fast on the water as on the asphalt,sand, concrete or on the mud. I will make new video soon when i get the new aluminium edf impeller http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Metal-90mm-EDF-Ducted-Fan-housing-With-Aluminum-Bracket-Sets-/00/s/MzgwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJDgE-VPE4YobBPtFe3yKLg~~60_35.JPG

Right now with the old plastic edf impeller, the motor gets so hot it starts melting down the motor mount brackets. So i have to change this and then will see.
Im using 2 esc-s. Lift fan has 40-50A Turnigi SS Series ESC and Thrust fan has 50-65A Turnigy SS Series ESC

#5 hovermaniac Sep 25, 2012 10:27 AM

Today i recieved a new edf fan housing that looks like this:
http://www.upload.ee/image/2701227/IMG_1205.JPG

#6 Timtreo Oct 03, 2012 07:05 PM

Nice that looks like it should hold up:). Can't wait for the video.I have been digging around the EDF Jets section to start getting into that scene and there are a lot of good deals over there on fans and motors.

#7 hovermaniac Oct 11, 2012 12:24 PM

I made few upgrades
1. New lift motor 5250kv 64mm edf with dynamically balanced blades.
2. New aluminium thrust edf housing with new 4400kv turnigy motor.
3. Repainted the body and installed yellow flashing lights
(like real hovercrafts have)
Now its got loads of power :eek: Im waiting for the first snow to test it out :rolleyes:
Little video with the old configuration and old motors on the sand
RC Hovercraft cruising on the sand. (1 min 11 sec)

http://www.upload.ee/image/2739306/P1010017.JPG
http://www.upload.ee/image/2739333/P1010020.JPG
http://www.upload.ee/image/2739338/P1010023.JPG
http://www.upload.ee/image/2739345/P1010012.JPG
http://www.upload.ee/image/2739347/P1010015.JPG

#8 Timtreo Oct 13, 2012 06:38 PM

Nice! That should be a pretty good test for the hovercraft going over the uneven sand, looks like it does pretty well. Nice job. Ide still like to see a short glide across the water in the backround though :D. Just kidding I wouldn't want to risk my hard work either:).

#9 hovermaniac Oct 15, 2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timtreo (Post 22993029)
Nice! That should be a pretty good test for the hovercraft going over the uneven sand, looks like it does pretty well. Nice job. Ide still like to see a short glide across the water in the backround though :D. Just kidding I wouldn't want to risk my hard work either:).

Heres your short glide :D
RC Hovercraft (1 min 14 sec)

#10 camoesas Oct 15, 2012 03:25 PM

Hovermaniac, congratulations!

It performs very well and also looks quite maneuvreable.

Regards,

Carlos

#11 hovermaniac Oct 15, 2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camoesas (Post 23008894)
Hovermaniac, congratulations!

It performs very well and also looks quite maneuvreable.

Regards,

Carlos

Thanks Carlos

Yes its fast and it has great maneuverability thanks to head-lock gyro. Im very satisfied with the result this far!

#12 hovermaniac Oct 16, 2012 12:16 PM

Small video from today
Rc Hovercraft (1 min 44 sec)

#13 Timtreo Oct 25, 2012 01:59 AM

Hey WOW that does great on the water! I didn't know you were using a gyro, that is a good idea! How do you have the 2 ESCs wired to the receiver? Both to the throttle channel? But then if so how do you keep the air bag filled when you stop moving forward:confused:? Do you have one battery powering everything? Ide like to try to build one these or maybe even a hoverwing when I get some time. Yours is pretty awesome. Tim :)

#14 hovermaniac Oct 25, 2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timtreo (Post 23094680)
Hey WOW that does great on the water! I didn't know you were using a gyro, that is a good idea! How do you have the 2 ESCs wired to the receiver? Both to the throttle channel? But then if so how do you keep the air bag filled when you stop moving forward:confused:? Do you have one battery powering everything? Ide like to try to build one these or maybe even a hoverwing when I get some time. Yours is pretty awesome. Tim :)

2 ESCs are in wired in separate channels, so one stick is controlling the air bag and other stick is for the thrust. Im operating with 2 joysticks at the same time. Usually i have one battery to save the weight but i have 2 battery holders built in. i think that on the ice and snow im using 2 batteries 2x5000mah 3s lipo.
Today i but gps on the hovercraft to measure speed and the result was 43,6kmh or 28.96mph ;)

#15 Timtreo Oct 26, 2012 12:57 AM

Throttle and what the elevator channel for the 2 seperate ESCs?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.