RC Groups

RC Groups
    On-road Cars
        Question Tamiya TT01D Drifter to brushless

#1 HYDROJERRY Sep 11, 2012 12:57 PM

Tamiya TT01D Drifter to brushless

I got my tt01 drifter and have alomst the hole chassie built, it came with a 540 size brushed motor and esc, well i no after awhile im going to want more so my question is what HK motor and esc would kick it up a notch but cheaply,, i build boats but cars are different!! Not going to do this wright away but would still like to no..:popcorn:

#2 wparsons Sep 11, 2012 01:15 PM

There's no point in putting a brushless motor in for a drifter IMO. You'll never get enough traction to go fast with drift tires, so there's no need for more power.

#3 HYDROJERRY Sep 11, 2012 07:30 PM

I only use lipos and id rather have the sealed motor and the efficentness of the brushless system thats why i wanted a cheap HK system, i remember that the brushed motors have to be cleaned regularly and would rather a no hassel setup not to forget it would be less strain on the system if it had more power wright??? but if you think i just dont need it then ill let it go!!

#4 wparsons Sep 12, 2012 03:16 PM

You can buy half a dozen of the stock motors for the cost of a cheap brushless setup, and since you already have the motor/esc it isn't costing you anything to run them.

My TT01 gets SUPER long run times on 5000mah lipo packs (~30 minutes is less than 2000mah out of the pack) on the stock brushed motor/esc, and I have dozens of packs through the motor with no maintenance and it still runs great.

#5 HYDROJERRY Sep 14, 2012 11:26 AM

Sounds great,,so your saying i can run my 2s 5000 lipo and be ok?? how do watch for LVC??

#6 wparsons Sep 14, 2012 12:57 PM

I get tired/bored LONG before the pack gets low. I never rely on the LVC in anything I drive/fly, simply because it over discharges the pack most of the time. I just time my flights/runs, or in the case of the drifter I've never taken more than half the capacity out of the pack.

#7 HYDROJERRY Sep 17, 2012 09:18 AM

Cool thanks for the info...Sorry i forgot to ask did you just set your esc for regular6cell nicad then justr run the lipo?

#8 wparsons Sep 18, 2012 06:50 AM

As far as I know, the stock ESC doesn't have any optional settings. I just plugged it in, set the throttle range and went driving.

#9 HYDROJERRY Sep 19, 2012 12:49 PM

Sorry for the late response but i wanted to wait to reply till i got to try it, so i hooked ot up and did the norm setting the esc and everythings good,, i ran it in my house for a few minites just to try it but gotta wait till i get the body painted before i go outside with it, if it ever stops raining here so i can paint it.. Anyway thanks for the info Wp...

#10 Creepy1 Sep 26, 2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 22764075)
As far as I know, the stock ESC doesn't have any optional settings. I just plugged it in, set the throttle range and went driving.

It has two settings on the stock teu-104bk esc. Lipo or NiMh, and Low Voltage Cut-off on or off.

I agree 100% with wparsons on all the above posts. Plenty enough power with a stock brushed system. I too thought about a brushless setup before even driving the car, but then decided the stock system works great for my drifting.

#11 HYDROJERRY Sep 27, 2012 09:23 AM

Ok Creepy,, ill check out the esc manaul thanks for the info..

#12 HYDROJERRY Oct 09, 2012 12:44 PM

Ok guys new question i think!!! Where do you guys get your aftermarket parts for these things, like rims,wheels,body accesories etc,,, ive been to rcmart, r2hobbies and afew others including ebay but everything seems to come from china and then you gotta wait like 2 weeks not to forget the 3 days for them to process the oder then send it to the warehouse then send it to there postoffice,,kinda rediculass, is there anywhere other than HPI here in the US to get this stuff???

#13 wparsons Oct 09, 2012 01:13 PM

Have you checked amain?

#14 SporadicIdiocy Oct 10, 2012 01:54 AM

tqrcracing has a decent selection of bodies and rims. For scale bodies, tamiya is probably best, ABC a close second. As for racing bodies either protoform or hotbodies, though that kinda doesn't apply to VTA or GT.

If you're drifting I'm guessing you'll prefer scale.

#15 HYDROJERRY Oct 10, 2012 12:16 PM

ok guys ill check all those,, ordering stuff in the us seems to run about 3 days to receive it so waiting 2 to 2 1/2 weeks realy sucks!!!