RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro and Sub-Micro Boats
        Discussion MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat

#1 queadlunnrau Sep 11, 2012 02:02 AM

MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat

I've been wanting a micro boat for a while now, today I fried one of the motor ICs on my MQX board installing new motors with L.E.D.s I was sad and was about to chuck the brick out when I thought, WTH I can use it to make a boat! And guess what else ... The yaw gyro still WORKS!!!

Waterproofed the brick with liquid tape, tested the gryo and reversed the ailerons

Got some bath tub video. Hopefully I can get some lake video tomorrow.

MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat (2 min 49 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...9&d=1347343335

#2 derk Sep 11, 2012 04:39 AM

i imagine this would also be really good on a hovercraft, the natural gyro would help keep it going where it should. great job!

#3 queadlunnrau Sep 11, 2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derk (Post 22700878)
i imagine this would also be really good on a hovercraft, the natural gyro would help keep it going where it should. great job!

Wow I didn't think of that! It has 1 more motor channel available and could rig some rubber on the bottom with a fan pointing inside.

#4 boredom.is.me Sep 11, 2012 03:24 PM

Nice. I'ld really like to see it in open water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derk (Post 22700878)

I have to disagree. You will get better straight lines, but maneuverability will be drastically cut. Hovercrafts need side ways action to properly get through turns.

#5 derk Sep 12, 2012 01:17 AM

all the hovercraft ive built liked to spin out when turning, the last one i added a gyro and it seemed better with it, but that was a while ago... :p
the gyro on mine mainly improved all the drifting it did when going slower, and helped keep straight while accelerating too. i really didnt notice any reduced maneuverability.