RC Groups

RC Groups
    Giant Scale Airplanes
        Build Log Ziroli DC 3

#1 Twinwarbirdflier Sep 09, 2012 06:45 PM

Ziroli DC 3

1 Attachment(s)
Hey All, I recently bought a Ziroli DC 3 all framed up, with very little building left to do. Are there any build threads around? (I already did a search here) I was thinking G38s for power as the DC3 isnt a speedster...or shouldnt be any way, but for a big plane, I want to make sure I have the power I need in case of an emergency...

#2 jwellsy Sep 09, 2012 08:41 PM

This may help.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1136542/tm.htm

#3 TomCrump Sep 10, 2012 06:49 AM

Around here, the G-38 is the common choice. It provides plenty of power for the Z-DC-3.

#4 gordonnora Sep 10, 2012 07:45 PM

rcscalebuilder.com under designer, ziroli, has a number of builds....

#5 epoxyearl Sep 10, 2012 08:52 PM

We had a guy in the Delaware R/C club years ago,who built one and powered it with Saito 1.80 4strokes......He flew the most interesting pattern routine....a full aerobaticshow,everytime he flew
I've seen him burn a gallon of fuel a day,having more fun than the law allows.

It was painted up as a Camera Company's Executive transport.......If you want to have fun with a large twin,that's IT!

RIP Wayne-we haven't forgotten you.

#6 Twinwarbirdflier Sep 12, 2012 06:22 PM

Thanks all, I found a very good build thread there on rcscalebuilders, he's just about ready for the maiden:popcorn:

#7 Twinwarbirdflier Oct 13, 2012 08:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok Kids, I'm finally getting started on this HUGE project. I need some input here. As you can see, the original builder,(Norm) didn't opt to build the scale hinges on both the rudder and elevators, now that's not a real issue for me, however, the torque rod for the rudder is right up against the TE of the fin...My question is (and I have a few ideas, but would like other options to consider) is how would you go about installing a control rod on this rudder. she's tight, but should I bend the rod at a 90 degree, solder a arm? ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

btw..27 degree this am...yuk!

#8 epoxyearl Oct 13, 2012 09:17 PM

After watching you work,I'm surprised you aren't adding the scale hinges...Oh come on !-you know you want to....

If you leave it as is,everything will be hidden,so it has to be reliable...I'd opt for a bent torque arm-nothing to work loose or break.slip the point into a brass/aluminum tube,well glued into the structure.

The rudder's easy to move,you just need to guard against accidental bumps.

#9 Twinwarbirdflier Oct 13, 2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epoxyearl (Post 22994135)
After watching you work,I'm surprised you aren't adding the scale hinges...Oh come on !-you know you want to....

Thanks for your reply Earl, I wouldve added scale hinges, but this is how I bought the plane...... I bought her "as is" I trust the builder, however, I'm at a loss as to why he didn't build her with the scale hinges.... So, here I am, looking for input

#10 Twinwarbirdflier Oct 20, 2012 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I did bend the torque rod, and silver soldered and bound a threaded rod. The problem is, is it sticks out a little more than the siding, not a whole lot, just enough to frustrate me that I didn't see that coming.. I'm still thinking on it...Maybe a small bubble or blister to cover it. I know, not scale, but... :confused:

#11 Twinwarbirdflier Oct 20, 2012 09:13 AM

Hey, How do you Guys feel about the Sullivan HD ny-rod? these were already installed when I bought this bird. She's braced at every former to minimize flex, however a 45# bird... Input anyone?

#12 TomCrump Oct 20, 2012 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinwarbirdflier (Post 23052339)
Hey, How do you Guys feel about the Sullivan HD ny-rod? these were already installed when I bought this bird. She's braced at every former to minimize flex, however a 45# bird... Input anyone?

Are you talking about the yellow inner, and black outer, using 4-40 hardware ?

If so, I use it in almost all my big birds.

#13 epoxyearl Oct 20, 2012 06:54 PM

Don't worry about 'scale'....If you need that lil' bump put it there....And I wouldn't worry about the large nyrods either...well braced they will be fine.
A 45 lb. airframe doesn't work the servos all that hard,so I wouldn't be overly concerned there either.
Normal care is required to have a safe model...

#14 Twinwarbirdflier Oct 21, 2012 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes Tom and Earl, They are the yellow, with black outer HC pushrods, and thanks for the quick replies. I got the tail section "relatively" blocked, next comes filler, sanding, filler, sanding...etc...

#15 Twinwarbirdflier Oct 24, 2012 05:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I know I have a long way to go till painting, but here are a few schemes I'm looking at...
Why be normal.. :cool: