RC Groups

RC Groups
    Night Flying
        Discussion fuel proofing LEDs

#1 Nin3rsAllDay Sep 08, 2012 01:01 PM

fuel proofing LEDs

does anyone know a way to fuelproof LED strips? I have three small sections of LEDs that I need to fuelproof, but I don't want to go buy a whole role of clear monokote just for a little piece.

#2 Timtreo Oct 08, 2012 08:40 PM

A 2 part spray clear coat, need a respirator to use it. If you don't have a spray gun you might be able to bring it to an auto body place and they might spray it real quick for you the next time they do some clear coat work. You can also get a 2 part spray in a can, but it's pretty expensive and it's only good for less than 24 hours after you mix it. Good luck! Tim:)

#3 Nin3rsAllDay Oct 08, 2012 10:16 PM

I did a test run with some lusterkote and that seems to be working so far.

#4 Timtreo Oct 08, 2012 10:55 PM

I hear that stuff only works up to certain nitro percentage but you might ok with whatever fuel you are using.

#5 HaventFlownSince2014 Oct 16, 2012 02:45 PM

How about using CorrosionX? That is the stuff us float flyers (and coastal flyers) spray on our electronics and rx's to prevent water damage. I would imagine it is fuel proof, but cannot confirm...

#6 Nin3rsAllDay Oct 16, 2012 02:50 PM

I'm still testing the lusterkote as it is supposed to be fuelproof for up to 15% nitro which is what I use. If that ends up failing I will probably look into the corrosion X or may just breakdown and get some clear monokote.