RC Groups

RC Groups
    Auto Gyros
        Discussion Building Auto Gyro Blades

#1 Noggy Sep 05, 2012 07:27 PM

Building Auto Gyro Blades

Hi all, I have just caught the bug of model auto gyros however my first attempt to fly ended in disaster. (No one killed fortunately). I have rebuilt the fuselage and obtained some blades from aerobalsa in the States. I have balanced the blades length wise to find the c.o.g. Can some one tell me how I can find the position to locate the pivot hole. I have watched several of the u tube videos but this point is glossed over.

#2 britinoz Sep 05, 2012 08:33 PM

Autogyro blade making part 2 (5 min 5 sec)

Have a look at this video that Rich made a while ago ..It should help.
Happy Landings
Chris.......

#3 Noggy Sep 05, 2012 10:11 PM

Thank you for that. I have seen this video, when he measured the 310mm to the pivot hole, how did he determine where the hole was? ie how far in from the inner end of the blade. On the video it appears that he just marked a spot and then measured back from the outer end. Apart from on the cofg, is it critical how far the pivot hole is?

#4 britinoz Sep 06, 2012 02:20 AM

I think that you will find that 310 mm was just for that model.The CG is the critical point.
I don't believe that the location of the hole is critical as long as they are all the same.......allowing the blade room to fold back with out damaging any thing.
Chris.........

#5 jodini Sep 06, 2012 07:05 AM

Which model are you building these blades for? Your design or somebody elses.
Thanks,
Joe

#6 Noggy Sep 06, 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by britinoz (Post 22655141)
I think that you will find that 310 mm was just for that model.The CG is the critical point.
I don't believe that the location of the hole is critical as long as they are all the same.......allowing the blade room to fold back with out damaging any thing.
Chris.........

Thanks Chris I was starting to come to that conclusion as I could find little information about the actual positioning of the holes

#7 Noggy Sep 06, 2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodini (Post 22656142)
Which model are you building these blades for? Your design or somebody elses.
Thanks,
Joe

The PT 25 from aerobalsa

#8 soarapod Sep 06, 2012 09:23 AM

as the hole for the bolt is on the cord wise cg ,is it not just a case of measuring the same amount in from the blade tips on each blade
to make sure all the blades have the same radius

stan

#9 SafeLandings Sep 06, 2012 11:19 AM

The spare blade sets from Flying balsa should be cut to size and pre drilled?

Spare blades link for the PT 25

Out of stock at the moment as are aerobalsa which have been out of stock for 12 months or more. I would email Flying Balsa and see what they recommend.

Regards

Rich

#10 Lazygit Sep 07, 2012 03:30 PM

Oops, real link for PT25 blades

(The error was caused by the link box sticking in "http://" and causing confusion).

#11 Noggy Sep 11, 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noggy (Post 22652334)
Hi all, I have just caught the bug of model auto gyros however my first attempt to fly ended in disaster. (No one killed fortunately). I have rebuilt the fuselage and obtained some blades from aerobalsa in the States. I have balanced the blades length wise to find the c.o.g. Can some one tell me how I can find the position to locate the pivot hole. I have watched several of the u tube videos but this point is glossed over.

Thank you Chris and all. I have bitten the bullet and drilled the holes into the blades on the CoG line. I think I was being over technical before. I used an old blade (a bit deformed) to get the approximate distance in from the inner end of the blade. Only one way to find out and that is to FLY.