RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailboats
        Cool "Waterworld" RC trimaran

#1 thorsail Aug 27, 2012 08:44 PM

"Waterworld" RC trimaran

I just found this on utube, hopefully the link works.

(ok,i erased the link,it won't work)

hmmm, doesn't work
well, on youtube it's titled "RC Trimaran Waterworld"
if someone else can maybe put the link here -this guy did a great job on this
RC version of a movie prop.

edit:THANKS BOOMER for uploading this -I thought it was worth it.
I found this on a German site(www.minisail-ev.de)---some interesting stuff there
but not in a language I understand...

#2 Dick L. Aug 27, 2012 09:05 PM

Bad links ..........

#3 Boomer1 Aug 27, 2012 09:27 PM

Amazing! I posted the rc version and the movie version for comparison - Wow!
Boomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SABoEo3A_lo
Waterworld - Trimaran Montage (2 min 21 sec)

#4 Looking_Up Aug 27, 2012 09:41 PM

if i saw the rc version out at the local pond i wouldnt think it was the boat until i examined closer
need to work on the hull shapes mast and overall layout of riggers and trampolines

#5 rso Aug 27, 2012 10:31 PM

Very cool,the little guy even looks like Mel Gibson.

#6 Gimpdiggity Aug 27, 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rso (Post 22568874)
Very cool,the little guy even looks like Mel Gibson.

That's not very good work then, considering Kevin Costner was the star of "Waterworld."

;)

That boat is really cool. I wish I had the talent to put together a model like that.

#7 rso Aug 28, 2012 01:39 AM

Oh yeah,Kevin ,not mel.
Still............pretty cool.
Not being a modeler myself, I am amazed at the rotary thingie,the hoisting Gaff sail, and the roller furling.
Also,she seems to have a good bit of performance as well.
Good job.

#8 Boomer1 Aug 28, 2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looking_Up (Post 22568430)
if i saw the rc version out at the local pond i wouldnt think it was the boat until i examined closer
need to work on the hull shapes mast and overall layout of riggers and trampolines

I am guessing, but think the hull shape has more to do with housing all the servos and electronics that permits the amazing job of engineering this fellow had to do to get all that stuff inside there to work let alone ending up with a boat that sails really well!

It is close enough for me to be amazed! Again, Wow! Nice work!
Boomer

#9 Looking_Up Aug 28, 2012 01:31 PM

I guess your right
and i dont have the patience to put that kind of scale into a modle so i really cant critisize

#10 seefest Aug 28, 2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looking_Up (Post 22568430)

Agree with you. The hulls look more like a dugout canoe than an ORMA 60 tri.

Cool nonetheless.

#11 Dick L. Aug 28, 2012 02:35 PM

The original tri was a Formula 40 class - not an ORMA 60 boat. Visit "Sailing Anarchy" and search the forum. Was a lengthy discussion on the tri, what it was, were it came from and where it was now. Thread is probably 5-7 years old by now - not sure if they still maintain archives.

#12 seefest Aug 30, 2012 08:38 AM

I stand corrected. I always thought it was an Orma 60 built by lagoon.

#13 disabled Aug 30, 2012 04:05 PM

Definitely 60ft.!!!

The waterworld trimaran can NEVER be of 40ft size!
Sorry, Dick - but that is a false information you have.

#14 thorsail Aug 30, 2012 11:29 PM

found this in Wikipedia.............

Inspired by racing trimarans built by Jeanneau Advanced Technologies' multi-hull division Lagoon; a custom 60 foot (18 m) yacht was designed by Marc Van Peteghem and Vincent Lauriot-Prevost and built in France by Lagoon. Two versions were built, a relatively standard racing trimaran for distance shots, and an effects-laden transforming trimaran for closeup shots. The first trimaran was launched on 2 April 1994, and surpassed 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph) in September of that year.[9] The transforming version was first seen in the film as a sort of raft with a three-bladed egg-beater windmill. When needed, levers could be triggered that would flatten the windmill blades while raising a hidden mast to full racing height. A boom emerged, previously hidden in the hull, and the two sails were automatically unfurled. Once the transformation was complete this version could actually sail, although not as well as the dedicated racer.[9] The first boat is stored in a lake at Universal Studios Florida, and the second is in private hands in San Diego, California

#15 Dick L. Sep 05, 2012 08:58 PM

I stand corrected. Dick