RC Groups

RC Groups
    Night Flying
        Discussion I need advice.

#1 winndaddy Aug 25, 2012 11:19 AM

I need advice.

I have a couple of twisted hobbys 3d planes. I'm thinking i might turn my 44" edge into a night flier. I ordered some turnigy strips and all the accessories. My question to y'all is, should i face the leds into the foam or away? I heard the turnigys are pretty bright.

#2 kavic5150 Aug 25, 2012 01:44 PM

It all depends on what input voltage you plan to use. At the full 3s 12.6v input they are screamingly bright. But at 2s 8.4v they are not quite bright enough IMHO. Maybe try it both ways and see what you think.

The heli guys often use a small brushed esc as a pwm controller to dim the lights. Not sure if your interested as this can add weight.

If you do end up using 3s like I do just be sure not to look directly at the lights close up. They are ok once I get airborne.

#3 winndaddy Aug 25, 2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavic5150 (Post 22546435)
It all depends on what input voltage you plan to use. At the full 3s 12.6v input they are screamingly bright. But at 2s 8.4v they are not quite bright enough IMHO. Maybe try it both ways and see what you think.

The heli guys often use a small brushed esc as a pwm controller to dim the lights. Not sure if your interested as this can add weight.

If you do end up using 3s like I do just be sure not to look directly at the lights close up. They are ok once I get airborne.

Thanks, I'll be using 3s since I have packs laying around for another small plane. I guess your leds are facing outward then, right?

#4 kavic5150 Aug 25, 2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winndaddy (Post 22547577)
Thanks, I'll be using 3s since I have packs laying around for another small plane. I guess your leds are facing outward then, right?

Yeah. And I often forget to tell folks that I have a light tint on my prescription lenses. :D

#5 winndaddy Aug 25, 2012 05:53 PM

Dang, haha.

#6 HaventFlownSince2014 Aug 30, 2012 08:41 PM

I like the lights pointed inside only on white foam models. If the foam is painted, go ahead and point them outward.

My favorite look though is 3s on balsa models with the LEDs under the covering

#7 HoosierGuy Sep 06, 2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavic5150 (Post 22546435)

I recently ordered for the first time some led lights for my electric glider Lanyu Evolution 1.6m. This will be the first time I've experimented with led lights and night flying.

How does the brushed esc work with led lights? I plan on, at first, powering my lights of my flight battery.