RC Groups

RC Groups
    Australian Electric Flight Association
        Discussion Swan Hill electric fun fly 2012

#1 Broose27 Aug 24, 2012 01:13 AM

Swan Hill electric fun fly 2012

1 Attachment(s)
Giddy up for northern Victoria's AEFA electric rally.

After pretty ordinary weather the past 2 years, we're due for a crackin weekend October 13-14.

You know the drill: free camping, with toilets and shower on site, canteen running, meals from Saturday lunchtime and a big feed Saturday night.

A monster raffle thanks to our fantastic sponsors, and hopefully a great time for all, including the campfire and night flying.

#2 general38 Oct 14, 2012 06:24 AM

Great for planes -but for Helis.....

After speaking personally with the president we were so excited about attending. We were told that there would be many flight lines for us to fly our choppers, food and night flys. Being an all electric event we were also told that there would be generators provided. When we arrived we found out there were no generators to power our battery chargers. Also we found that there was only one flight line about 40 Meters across for the helicopters to use. The rest of the field was to be used only for airplanes. Quite contrary to what we were told. In fact the 40 meter flight line we were allocated (behind the canteen - away from the general viewing) had the wind blowing into our faces and the sun glaring into our eyes from approximately 12 midday onwards. I got to fly 3 packs on the flight line (9 mins of flying using my 450) for the whole weekend. It was great to see the Planes but i got the feeling that many did not feel the same way about the helicopters. I wondered why we were encouraged to attend in the first place. It felt to me as if it should have been an all plane event and the helicopter were just a second thought and treated as such.

#3 Broose27 Oct 14, 2012 07:15 PM

Thanks to everyone so much for making the long trip and bearing with us, especially the dinner.
We had way more people attending than expected, and it was pretty massive.
We'd be more than happy to chat about a dedicated heli event, just let us know!
The comments on this forum about the weekend aren't being reflected on the heli forums, but more than happy to receive any feedback to assist in mixing helis with fixed wing and power were the biggest concerns expressed I think - if you want to PM me your individual thoughts that'd be great.
SHMAC are very appreciative of everyone who promoted it and the amazing sponsors.
I think we've picked up two new members who want learn to fly heli's!
Over 70 pilots and a head count of 100 on Saturday....
Stay tuned for photos!
(And I'm not President, I'm Secretary)

#4 Broose27 Oct 15, 2012 08:00 PM

Thanks to Bill Hamilton for his wrap-up posted in another forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23004698

#5 ChuckTseeker Mar 04, 2013 07:16 PM

just thought i'd add this video to the original thread for people who might look back in here to see what a Swan Hill Fun Fly is all about

cheers chuck

Swan Hill Electric Fun Fly 2012 the Video (19 min 45 sec)

#6 Broose27 Mar 05, 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker (Post 24323610)
just thought i'd add this video to the original thread for people who might look back in here to see what a Swan Hill Fun Fly is all about

cheers chuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a4sZrEM1Tw

Thanks heaps Chuck - you can even pick up the sound of the wind which was up Friday, dropped off Saturday then almost disappeared Sunday!