RC Groups

RC Groups
    Ornithopters
        Discussion NEW Kjell-Wiggle-Drive

#1 KJELL Aug 22, 2012 12:54 PM

NEW Kjell-Wiggle-Drive
 
3 Attachment(s)
Prototype of the new Kjell-Wiggle-Drive with simple wing motion without active wing twist.

New Kjell Wiggle Drive0 (1 min 16 sec)

#2 KJELL Aug 24, 2012 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The new K-W-D can be made very silent, compared with the Crank Drive.

#3 seagull10 Aug 24, 2012 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New application for your old marine drive. I like it. Just can't understand why it is more silent than the crank drive? Here it is ,even with adjustable flapping amplitude:

#4 KJELL Aug 27, 2012 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by seagull10 (Post 22537245)
New application for your old marine drive. I like it. Just can't understand why it is more silent than the crank drive? Here it is ,even with adjustable flapping amplitude:

Before trying to reduce mechanical noise, it is important to know where the noise is produced.
The crank drive makes two different kind of noise.
The gears are installed in the open air without good lubrication.
The backlash in the con-rod makes a knocking noise when changing direction.

The K-W-D , can be made less noisy by enclosing the gears in a lubricating box.
There is no backlash in the Wiggle-Drive rotating power transmissions. .

#5 vlatko Aug 28, 2012 06:25 AM

Hey Kjell,

are there any kind of plans so others can build your wiggle drive?
Also, is there a video of the orni flying with the wiggle drive?

Thanx

#6 KJELL Aug 28, 2012 01:51 PM

Anyone can build an orni with wiggle-drive.
W Bird1 (1 min 15 sec)

#7 vlatko Aug 28, 2012 06:02 PM

Thank you Mr. Dahlberg. Nice video!

#8 seagull10 Aug 28, 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJELL (Post 22562433)
Before trying to reduce mechanical noise, it is important to know where the noise is produced.
The crank drive makes two different kind of noise.
The gears are installed in the open air without good lubrication.
The backlash in the con-rod makes a knocking noise when changing direction.

The K-W-D , can be made less noisy by enclosing the gears in a lubricating box.
There is no backlash in the Wiggle-Drive rotating power transmissions. .

Kjell , I don't want to argue with you but every gears' transmission can be enclosed in a box and well lubricated, doesn't mater what kind of rotary to reciprocating motion mechanism is powered by this transmission. The question is how much weight will be added.
As about backlash probably in your mechanism it will be more because you have more consequently connected parts and this summarize backlash from all joints.I don't think that this will be a problem even in your mechanism if the bearings used are in good condition .

#9 KJELL Aug 29, 2012 01:42 AM

Kazu-kaku, in the Kestrel 17 has resolved to reduce the gear noise by enclosing it inside his foam body. The knocking noise from the backlash in the con-rod is still there. The Wiggle-Drive donít produce any knocking noise.

#10 KJELL Sep 14, 2012 09:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The 3D Printed parts for the K-W-D has now arived.

#11 seagull10 Sep 14, 2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJELL (Post 22731704)
The 3D Printed parts for the K-W-D has now arived.

Bravo Kjell they are very light.
What the relative weight of this material is?
How much the printing of this parts cost you?
Do you provide 3D CAD models or printing guys created it?
How they determine the price ,by the volume of the printed object or in some other way?

Thanks for sharing

#12 KJELL Sep 14, 2012 11:26 AM

I provide 3D CAD drawings and they convert these drawings in printable format for their 3D printer.
The parts have been made by http://www.shapeways.com/

#13 seagull10 Sep 14, 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJELL (Post 22732593)
I provide 3D CAD drawings and they convert these drawings in printable format for their 3D printer.
The parts have been made by http://www.shapeways.com/

Thanks Kjell

#14 vlatko Sep 14, 2012 01:58 PM

The price for 3D printing is usually calculated by the amount of the used material.

#15 KJELL Sep 15, 2012 07:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Reducing the weight is important. I like the material made by the 3D printing. It opens up a new way to make ornithopter parts.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.