RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Build Log 1/3 Scale BalsaUSA Super Cub (How-to build custom laminated tail)

#1 aero104 Aug 17, 2012 07:50 PM

1/3 Scale BalsaUSA Super Cub (How-to build custom laminated tail)

49 Attachment(s)
I am going to help with a beginners balsa airplane build thread soon, I thought i would share a few simple build techniques.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704076

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-IMG_0051.jpg

After 5 years of flying Cubzilla with over 1500+ flights, it is time for a slight rebuild and recover. During glider towing, the tail really takes a lot of stress due to towlines getting caught in or wrapped around the tail. So I decided to upgrade it a bit.
Building a balsa tail with laminated balsa and carbon fiber leading and trailing edges...in about 60minutes! :)

#2 ska2000 Aug 17, 2012 11:16 PM

Nice. Lots of little tricks that usually take a new builder years to accumulate. And all those little tricks make all the difference.

I still can't cut a straight cut. I have to use sanding jigs.

#3 aero104 Aug 18, 2012 06:45 PM

Thanks!

Do you think other builders would like short videos vs. a photo spread like this?

Aero104

#4 ska2000 Aug 18, 2012 09:07 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I like it. No matter how much I think I know, I always have tons to learn.

#5 aero104 Aug 21, 2012 10:13 AM

Same here. That is why I still enjoy building and flying. It is only as hard as you want to make it. :-)

#6 dee-grose Aug 22, 2012 11:29 AM

Chris,

I bet it took you longer to take all the photos, edit them, and post them here than it took to actually do the work, right? Nice job, and I'll be keeping an eye on your posts. Good stuff! :D

So will Cubzilla be flying at the Huntsville Aerotow?

Andy

#7 aero104 Aug 22, 2012 11:57 AM

Thanks!

Any yes, it took longer to photo and post. lol

Cubzilla repair has snowballed on me. I've decided to build another one, "Cubzilla+" (or "Junge Affe+") Many more custom mods will be added.

I plan to sell off the original Cubzilla at Perry, GA Swap Meet next year.

Aero104

#8 Asher Carmichael Aug 22, 2012 12:06 PM

Chris,
Good stuff. I wish I had the motivation to build and share like you have. I particularly like the conversion of the xacto saw blade to the "japanese" style pull saw. I've been using dozuki type saws for years in general woodworking but failed to make the transition for models. Duh! See you at Huntsville if not before.
Asher

#9 dee-grose Aug 22, 2012 02:07 PM

Selling Cubzilla?!?! I bet you could hock it easily when you come to Huntsville. I wish I could afford to take it off your hands....then I'd get shot for trying to bring that beast into my already full garage! :D