RC Groups

RC Groups
    Hand Launch
        Discussion 3D printed FPV but DLG type elliptical wings..

#1 Laurence Carroll Aug 14, 2012 10:39 PM

3D printed FPV but DLG type elliptical wings..

Hi all,

In case you have not seen this yet...

First flight of 3D printed plane (2 min 26 sec)

Its interesting as it has the current DLG (ish) style wing shape...geodetic structure....another way of doing it etc....

Regards

Laurie

:popcorn:

#2 ThomasLee Aug 15, 2012 01:02 AM

very very cool!!!

#3 browncbr1 Aug 15, 2012 10:09 AM

this technology is actually quite old.. At one of my previous jobs, we had a 3d printer and a stereo lithography machine that we used to make prototypes. I think the technology is 20 years old or more.. problem is that the machine time is very slow per part volume and cost is high

#4 dumb_thumbs Aug 17, 2012 02:15 PM

While the technology is old, with powerful 3d cad programs and sophisticated computer controls I think its significantly improved. Also, it seems as though there are still advances in materials being made.

This post got me thinking. In DLG, a disser wing is like a geodetic structure, but it is tougher to do a disser layup. Using a 3d printer this could go much quicker, and as shown by the video it is pretty strong. I wish I had kept up on my 3d cad skills, this would be very insteresting to work on. The great thing is to start out it would only take time designing a wing. From there you can figure out the cost, weight, and if necessary scale down to do some strength testing.

One way I thought of would be to print out the wing in two pieces (top and bottom). On the inside of the top and bottom, epoxy strips of carbon fiber tow on key parts and add a carbon fiber spar when gluing the two parts together. In this case you'd only be printing the geodetic structure and skins.

It would be cool to just print a wing, or even a whole DLG instead of having to wait for planes to come back in stock.

-Heath