RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailboats
        Discussion A Star (45) is born! (I hope!)

#1 PirateTwisty Aug 10, 2012 10:04 AM

A Star (45) is born! (I hope!)

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so this will be my first full size scratch build. Also, my first r/c sailboat. I think I have a reasonably good handle on what I'm doing (famous last words), but I welcome any input from here on out! And please, please stop me if I'm about to do something stupid! I'd rather learn from your mistakes than mine!

#2 flatlandsailor Aug 10, 2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateTwisty (Post 22409325)
Ok, so this will be my first full size scratch build. Also, my first r/c sailboat. I think I have a reasonably good handle on what I'm doing (famous last words), but I welcome any input from here on out! And please, please stop me if I'm about to do something stupid! I'd rather learn from your mistakes than mine!

Congrats! This reminds me that I need to get started building mine, good luck with the build.

Andy

#3 northernmike Aug 10, 2012 05:31 PM

Well that has some nice lines to it.

Nicely chosen.

#4 squandary Aug 10, 2012 06:34 PM

Star 45s are raced extensively as a one design class, is this what you have in mind? Where did you get your plans?

#5 hiljoball Aug 10, 2012 08:07 PM

This is what I would do differently the next time.

First is that the hatch opening is in exactly the wrong place as it sits where I want to sheet the main. I would locate the winch and radio equipment so that I could install a main sheeting post.

On the Star, the jib boom is short and the main boom is long. I run a drum winch and so to keep things simple, the movement of the sheets is the same for both jib and main. So the sheeting point on the main needs to be similar (actually slightly shorter) to the length from the jib boom swivel to the jib boom sheeting point. This determines the position of the main sheeting post aft of the gooseneck, and hence the need to relocate the main hatch/interior access.

The Star will bury its bow when pressed and so I would try to keep weight central and aft. So I would position the winch to one side of the hull aft just of the fin,and cover the access hole with a sticky deck patch. Then I would use a pot (popular in the IOM class) to contain the Rx and battery set in the deck for watertight and easy access for on/off and battery change/charging on the opposite side. Then, aft of the sheeting post on centre, I would place the rudder servo and rudder access - with cut outs with sticky patches.

I would modify the bow section to incorporate a bow bumper shaped to the hull shape.

John

#6 slotracer577 Aug 10, 2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squandary (Post 22413497)
Star 45s are raced extensively as a one design class, is this what you have in mind? Where did you get your plans?

Plans can be found http://woodstar45.blogspot.com/2006/...r45-plans.html and for purchase here http://www.shipsstoremodelyacht.com/...ans,%20Etc.htm They are also in the file section of the star 45 yahoo group.

On my boats I have the winch under the mast then the battery next to the fin.

#7 PirateTwisty Aug 11, 2012 06:13 PM

Slotracer, that is exactly where I found the plans! It's the closest thing to hand- holding I could find!

#8 PirateTwisty Aug 11, 2012 06:18 PM

hiljoball, That's exactly the kind input I'm hoping for! Building the boat is one thing.... making her actually sail is something altogether different!

#9 PirateTwisty Aug 11, 2012 06:27 PM

squandary,
I'm going to try to keep her to class specs, but she'll never race. There is nobody to race with where I live, and frankly, I don't have a competitive bone in my body. Just want her to sail! :)

#10 slotracer577 Aug 12, 2012 10:27 AM

Windjammin sails makes a great tuning guide which shows how to rig a star. I have used Scotts tuning with good results.

John

#11 bgnome Aug 13, 2012 10:35 AM

Aww man! you stole the thread name I was going to use when I started building one!! :D

she's looking good so far! can't wait to see more progress!

#12 PirateTwisty Sep 26, 2012 04:02 PM

Progress report

3 Attachment(s)
I have been remiss in updating this, but life sort of got in the way for a bit. Back at it now! The hull has been West Systemed, inside & out. The keel and rudder are built and ready for paint (that will be one of the last things I do). At present I'm dry fitting deck planking, and hoping it's going to be as pretty as I imagined!

#13 MMangus Sep 26, 2012 09:57 PM

Nice to see someone else building one of these. :)

I just started building a Star 45 this past weekend. At the moment, the hull bottom is nearly planked. Even half planked, the boat has a beautiful hull.

Keep us updated! I'll be watching with a keen eye while building my Star.

#14 gpzy Sep 26, 2012 10:35 PM

Here are some great pics of a Star 45 build by Ken Bauser
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenbauser/

#15 PirateTwisty Sep 27, 2012 07:04 AM

Those ARE great pics; he makes it look so easy!