RC Groups

RC Groups
    Inland Slope Rebels
        Discussion Home 3D printing

#1 Artsloper Aug 06, 2012 06:04 PM

Home 3D printing

With a layer thickness of .25mm and model sizes up to 5.5" cubed, desktop printing can be yours for $1299. This is just short of amazing.

http://cubify.com/cube/index.aspx

#2 Artsloper Aug 06, 2012 06:25 PM

It gets better 6" cubed for $500

Res can be set to .1mm

http://www.solidoodle.com

#3 Twinboom Sep 16, 2012 11:18 AM

Hey Ralph,
I think the 3d printer in the 6" version for $499.00, it is way cool. It might be a club discusiion for making pilots heads for our planes? A 6" pilot bust, would be good up to about 1/4 scale, with most of the planes being 1/10th scale, it might be able to make the whole pilot figure. Just a thought. I don't know how expensive the material is for printing, but maybe use the printer for making the first unit, then have Bill Show us how to make a mold off of that? Food for thought for Septembers meeting. Of course, Ralphy will be having the time of his life in Italy with his new bride Ali, and won't be around this month. Discussion??

Doug

#4 MicroRotors Sep 18, 2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinboom (Post 22747989)
Hey Ralph,
I think the 3d printer in the 6" version for $499.00, it is way cool. It might be a club discusiion for making pilots heads for our planes? A 6" pilot bust, would be good up to about 1/4 scale, with most of the planes being 1/10th scale, it might be able to make the whole pilot figure. Just a thought. I don't know how expensive the material is for printing, but maybe use the printer for making the first unit, then have Bill Show us how to make a mold off of that? Food for thought for Septembers meeting. Of course, Ralphy will be having the time of his life in Italy with his new bride Ali, and won't be around this month. Discussion??

Doug

Doug,

I called them the day Ralph posted the link. We were looking to get a couple for work and I was getting one for home. They couldn't send me a sample, ... ?????

They said it would be a few weeks, ... still waiting and I'm not holding my breath. How long has it been?

Basically, ... if you want one, they will make you one and send it to you 2 months AFTER purchasing it. I told them I'm not buying nothing until I see a print from said printer.

Mexican stand-off anyone?

Bill

#5 MicroRotors Sep 18, 2012 06:33 PM

Also Doug,

It wouldn't be an ideal way to for a pilot. There is to much detail to try to clean up. When it prints, it leaves striations that have to be filled or sanded out.

Nightmare

Bill