RC Groups

RC Groups
    Site Chat
        Why can't i see the sponsor info anymore?

#1 ICRSHLTS Nov 19, 2003 04:43 PM

Why can't i see the sponsor info anymore?

I don't see any sponsor ads and if I click on sponsors button the page has no links to click on- is there a setting i can change somewhere? Thanks

#2 RandyK1 Nov 19, 2003 11:21 PM

Do you have a firewall running? That was my problem, as soon as I turn the firewall off I can see all the links :)..R..

#3 ahab Nov 21, 2003 07:32 PM

disable firewall?? nuts to that

I cannot understand why the powers to be had to monkey with something that worked..

In this day-n-age it is lunacy to drop your firewall..ever!!

I hope the sponsors are satisfied with the invisable act they are paying for.

Jarvis

#4 Fred DCRC Nov 23, 2003 10:00 AM

Re: disable firewall?? nuts to that

Quote:

Originally posted by ahab
I cannot understand why the powers to be had to monkey with something that worked..

In this day-n-age it is lunacy to drop your firewall..ever!!

I hope the sponsors are satisfied with the invisable act they are paying for.

Jarvis

Fred www.dcrcradiocontrol.com
No we are not happy I had to drop
My advertising on the zone
Not going to pay for nothing

#5 jbourke Nov 23, 2003 12:34 PM

I'll look into this.

Jim

#6 jbourke Nov 23, 2003 01:00 PM

We haven't changed anything.

When did this problem start? Is it affecting all ads or just the "sponsors" list?

Help me understand the problem a bit better so I can direct our efforts. There doesn't seem to be anything we are doing that should make a firewall nervous.

Jim

#7 FlyByMike Nov 23, 2003 01:09 PM

Jim,
I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem of this thread but I did have one problem and currently have a problem attributable to my firewall.
First one was where some threads had user posted pics being blocked. This was when I set McAfee firewall to 'block ads'.
Second one is not solved but behavior is the same. Some threads do not show the post number in the upper right of the post. Some do OK.
-Mike

#8 RandyK1 Nov 23, 2003 01:13 PM

Jim, With the firewall on, there is nothing showing on the sponsers page. Ads? what ads? I dont get any pop-up ads if thats what your talking about. I will copy the sponsers page so you can see what I see, Hope this helps some :)...R....

Interested in becoming an R/C Groups sponsor? See our for information.

R/C Groups would like to thank our sponsors for their support. Please make note of their names and favor them with your business whenever possible. Don't forget to tell them that you heard about them here!

For full banners list click .

#9 jbourke Nov 23, 2003 01:15 PM

RandyK1,

Is your firewall set to block ads?

Jim

#10 RandyK1 Nov 23, 2003 01:24 PM

Jim, I just checked my firewall, Yes it is set to block ads. If someone wants to get the ads thay should be able to "uncheck" block ads, I would think....R... p.s. I will not run my p.c. with-out the firewall on, not these days, for the last few weeks I have been getting about 8-10 trojan attacks a day :( If we could turn these hackers on to R/C, mabey thay would not have so much time on there hands

#11 jbourke Nov 23, 2003 01:44 PM

Well, that resolves your problem RandyK1, but I don't think it must be the same issue as Fred and ahab are having. They seem to indicate that they want to see the ads but aren't able to.

So I'd like to hear more about that problem so I can fix it too.

Jim

#12 FlyByMike Nov 23, 2003 02:21 PM

May I suggest posting the suspect HTML code as a text file? Maybe hacking at it will tell us something.
-Mike

#13 jbourke Nov 23, 2003 02:41 PM

I suspect that the html isn't the problem. What is probably happening is that the javascript we are using is being blocked by the firewall at the user's machine.

I'll have the page rewritten to work around the problem, but at this time the obvious work-around is to stop configuring your firewall to block ads, if it is so configured.

Jim

#14 RandyK1 Nov 23, 2003 03:17 PM

I think that most firewalls install with the ad blocking "on" by defalt. Turning it off is as easy as unchecking the "block ads" box...R...

#15 Mark Wood Nov 23, 2003 05:33 PM

I don't get the sponsor list until I hit REFRESH. :confused:

mw