RC Groups

RC Groups
    Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W)
        Old Buzzard's Soaring Book

#1 clayjrw Nov 18, 2003 04:35 PM

Old Buzzard's Soaring Book

Wanted: Old Buzzard's Soaring Book by Dave Thornburg. Please state condition and price. E-Mail clayjrw@yahoo.com

#2 kwhite Nov 22, 2003 08:33 PM

soaring book

that book never helped me ,wana thermal try a day with light winds and thermal a small amount down wind of where youre standing it will be easy for you youll see,

#3 clayjrw Nov 24, 2003 04:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, kwhite, I'll try it and let the group know my results.

#4 Mauilvr Nov 24, 2003 06:01 PM

Hi clayjrw,
Welcome to RC Groups!

I got my copy on ebay for about half price. You can set-up a search tool that will email you daily and let you know when one shows up.

There is also an online source for new copies that I can't remember. Use the "Search" button in the upper right corner - it should turn it up.

I read it many years ago and then again recently and find I learn something new each time I pick it up.

I highly recommend it!

#5 clayjrw Nov 25, 2003 05:05 PM

Hi Ric, thanks for the info about the E-bay search/ E-mail tool. Dave Thornburgh has a web site @ soaringstuff.com, however the web site says the book is no longer being printed. He does offer a video I am considering, though.

Clay

#6 Mud Duck Nov 25, 2003 09:25 PM

Get the video

Hi Clayjrw!

I would have to agree with what Ric said, except that I own the video! Each and every time I watch it, I learn something new. The copy I have is several years old and the sailplanes shown in the copy that I own are now rather dated, yet timeless examples and it really doesn't matter since the information about thermal soaring is still valid no matter what ship is being flown. I think you'll enjoy it - they sure had a good time filming it, as you'll see if you purchase it.

Take care!

Shaun

#7 Tony D. Nov 25, 2003 11:39 PM

How about "The River of Air" as described by Thornburgh? That invaluable piece of information alone is worth the price of the book!

It really is a must read IMO.

Tony D.

#8 Mauilvr Nov 26, 2003 02:26 AM

The book has been out of print for quite awhile and becoming increasingly difficult to find. Now, apparently just about impossible.

A few months ago several places had it in stock for $27.95 + Shipping. They all now say they are "Out of Stock". :(

I spent some time tonight using the "Search" button and finally found the link to what may be the last remaining distributor to have a copy.

Since it's so difficult to get I decided to get myself a new copy. I just ordered it from Carstens Publications (Flying Models) for $16.95 + $5.00 shipping.

They are the only place I could find it available. :eek:

I hope they can still deliver it. I know that one RC Groups member got a copy delivered to Australia from them just a few months ago.
If you want a copy (and you should ;) ) I'd order right away. It's a small investment that will pay off dividends.

Great reading, too. If you haven't experienced Dave's wit then you're in for a treat, IMO.

#9 The Other Dave Nov 26, 2003 03:50 PM

Ric,

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one myself.

Thanks,

David

#10 clayjrw Nov 26, 2003 03:59 PM

Thank you very much Ric for the link. I ordered my copy 11-26-03, from Carsten's. Everyones advice has been great!

Clay

#11 Mauilvr Nov 26, 2003 04:19 PM

Now I'm especially glad I took the time to find it. It's great to see a couple of you took advantage...:cool:...I don't think you'll be sorry.

Now let's cross our fingers and hope they can deliver....... ;)

#12 edee61 Nov 26, 2003 06:38 PM

Got my copy from them about 2 weeks ago. Still had them then, quick shipping had it in 3 days. VERY good book for beginners like me.

#13 Mauilvr Nov 26, 2003 06:50 PM

That's very encouraging to hear......

#14 The Other Dave Nov 26, 2003 11:00 PM

I got my confirmation tonight.

Lets hope I don't get a un-confirmation.

#15 Pteradactyl Nov 28, 2003 02:45 PM

I'm with The Other Dave, only I just ordered mine today (11/28/03). Oh well, if they're out I can't do much more that cry, right? John