RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Events
        Contest CVRC Fall Soaring Festival 2012

#1 claude60 Jul 31, 2012 06:58 PM

CVRC Fall Soaring Festival 2012

1 Attachment(s)
I'm opening up redgistration for this years Fall Soaring Festival. The online entry should be open anytime on RCSoaring.com You can also mail in your entry. This year we will be flying Open, 2-meter, RES, Woody and Modified ALES. The modified ALES class will lauch up the winch line and your altitude limiter will need to be set to 150 meters. No landings skegs allowed in the ALES class.
We will be flying 5 and 4 10's on Saturdy and a 5 and 2 10's on Sunday. Any questions email me and we'll try to help.
We are also only allowing 1 person per freq. on 72megahertz so if you are still on 72 get your entry in early. Claude

#2 tewatson Aug 01, 2012 06:33 PM

Registered. Looking forward to it.

Tom

#3 target Aug 01, 2012 08:59 PM

Vacation is approved, but the work schedule is flying through lift and sink cycles right now....
Fingers crossed.

R,
Target

#4 ak79 Aug 02, 2012 01:37 AM

I'm a bit confused, why fly up a winch if you have a cheater on the front of your glider?

#5 target Aug 02, 2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak79 (Post 22332968)
I'm a bit confused, why fly up a winch if you have a cheater on the front of your glider?

They are going to launch with the motor from the same areas everybody launches with a winch.
That lessens the chance of chaos caused by launching from random areas and makes it fair since they launch in the same general direction before looking for air.
:-)

R,
Target

#6 s2000 Aug 02, 2012 11:00 AM

Having an ALES styled contest imbedded into the normal Fall Fest is a great way to expose some of us to the whole ALES thing, I for one have a keen interest in ALES Comps but have not yet jumped in, sure will be nice to see the different models and certainly the landing techniques, full house vs. RES style electrics. Thumbs up all the way for the organizers including modified ALES to the Fall Fest!

#7 ak79 Aug 02, 2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by target (Post 22333821)
They are going to launch with the motor from the same areas everybody launches with a winch.
That lessens the chance of chaos caused by launching from random areas and makes it fair since they launch in the same general direction before looking for air.
:-)

R,
Target

No the post clearly states " launch up the winch line". I agree they should launch in the same area and direction as everyone else, but up the winch???

Actually, more and more I think this is a good class to have all contests, we should have one in SC2, I bet we might get 50% more turn out.

#8 J. Wydronek Aug 02, 2012 01:08 PM

Got the time off. Will be there again this year. Cant wait.

Joe

#9 Larry Jolly Aug 02, 2012 02:36 PM

Claude,
Why not be progressive and out law all Skegs ??????? If it is safe enough for ALES, it is safe enough for everyone else !!!!! In Johannesburg and under the influence of a great Merlot... CA

#10 tewatson Aug 02, 2012 03:13 PM

Regardless of any strict lawyer-esque language interpretation, the intent of the term "winch line" is the winch lanes, or, more precisely, in the same direction and from the same point as those launching from the winches...which is a good way to ensure there is no confusion about who is launching and from where.

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak79 (Post 22336794)
No the post clearly states " launch up the winch line". I agree they should launch in the same area and direction as everyone else, but up the winch???

#11 gary1201 Aug 02, 2012 07:00 PM

Last night I put a tow hook on my ALES for Visalia. It sounds like I don't need it now. I think I will turn it around and use it as a skeg. Don't tell Claude!

#12 cflyer1 Aug 02, 2012 09:19 PM

Gary your busted:eek:

#13 Silent-AV8R Aug 03, 2012 12:15 AM

How many pop offs do the ALES guys get :rolleyes: ??

#14 Oldokie Aug 03, 2012 09:18 AM

Just for clarification, what day is the ALES competition?

Claude originally said it would be Friday but the announcement does not say what day and time)

#15 cflyer1 Aug 03, 2012 09:42 AM

ALES in visalia

we will fly ALES Saturday and Sunday
go to rcsoaring.com for details