RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sport Planes
        Discussion TopFlite mini Contender EP ?

#1 ltc Jul 30, 2012 10:41 PM

TopFlite mini Contender EP ?

Does anyone have any additional details on this?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNCGDN&P=G

Nothing on the Top Flite website.

I had 2 Contenders back in the late 70's. This looks like a great little lunchtime flyer, maybe with an OS 10 electric.

#2 Vulgar Vulture Jul 31, 2012 02:13 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting that! Looks like I gotta' get one! I don't like the plastic cowl but thankfully it's not all foam.

Yeah, my Father and I flew a few Contenders back in the 70's too and we've been "threatening" to revisit those days ever since.

Subbed. Looking forward to a Flight Report from someone!

#3 ltc Jul 31, 2012 08:14 PM

I have looked at the full size re-issue of the Contender, but I think I will get this one first and use it as a guide to convert a full size Contender to electric.

I have fond memories of carving the balsa nose on the original and learning how to Monokote the nose

#4 ltc Aug 01, 2012 09:51 AM

Just got an email from Tower.
Contender mini EP is in (limited) stock and available for ordering/shipping.

#5 pdansalvish Aug 01, 2012 04:31 PM

Tower is also adding free shipping. I had $10 coupon from them so my total order was $89.99. Should be here early next week.

#6 ltc Aug 01, 2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdansalvish (Post 22328834)
Tower is also adding free shipping. I had $10 coupon from them so my total order was $89.99. Should be here early next week.

You beat me to it. I was planning on ordering tonight when I got home.
I'll have to check for the free shipping...I don't remember seeing that.

#7 pdansalvish Aug 01, 2012 09:29 PM

ITc,

You can build yours first and let me know what issues you ran into.:D

#8 ltc Aug 01, 2012 09:59 PM

I've reviewed the manual, which is now up on the Top Flite website.
Looks straightforward, no surprises.
Didn't want to use a Rimfire motor, as recommended in the manual.

I've got to finish up the XB70 and YF23 ( Dynamic Foamy lunchtime projects) before the Contender arrives.

#9 Thayer Aug 02, 2012 12:59 AM

I don't know anything about putting it together, but I can tell you it is a delight to fly. I was lucky enough to get a try on the sticks almost 6 weeks ago. If you have any emotional attachment to the original Contender and like small electrics you won't go wrong with this one.

Thayer

#10 pdansalvish Aug 02, 2012 07:04 AM

ITC,

I am like you, not a big fan of RimFire motors. I have a spare Park 480 1020K which is what I plan to use. As for servos, I am thinking HS-55's.

Dave

#11 ltc Aug 02, 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdansalvish (Post 22334138)
ITC,

I am like you, not a big fan of RimFire motors. I have a spare Park 480 1020K which is what I plan to use. As for servos, I am thinking HS-55's.

Dave

Curious to see what other motors will fit or if they really designed it around the Rimfire .10

According to the manual, they recommend 21 in-oz of torque per servo, so that is a bit beyond an HS55.
They recommend Futaba 3114, so I was planning on a HS65 karbonite or metal gear servo, which is very close (1mm or so). Again, i will wait to see how tight they made the aileron servo cutouts.

#12 ltc Aug 02, 2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thayer (Post 22332800)
I don't know anything about putting it together, but I can tell you it is a delight to fly. I was lucky enough to get a try on the sticks almost 6 weeks ago. If you have any emotional attachment to the original Contender and like small electrics you won't go wrong with this one.

Thayer

I have nothing but fond memories of my 2 Contenders from back in the late 70's.
I am looking forward to this becoming a regular lunch hour flyer.
Can't wait for it to be delivered.

#13 Rhombic Aug 02, 2012 04:50 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the info on the mini-Contender. Will have to pull the trigger on this one. I had a full size one in the early-mid 80's with a os.40 and it flew great. That same plane is still flying today as i got out of the hobby and sold it after being in the crawl space for 27 years. I did take care of the engines(s) each year by cleaning and flushing then putting in marvel mystery oil. The new owner enjoys it and flys it regularly.

#14 ltc Aug 03, 2012 01:16 PM

Called my LHS.
He has 3 ordered and one of them will be mine...just waiting for UPS to deliver.
Can't wait.

#15 pdansalvish Aug 04, 2012 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what you get in the box. Picture taken from I-Phone.