RC Groups

RC Groups
    Night Flying
        Build Log Kadet Senior ---- Super Night Flyer Build

#1 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 14, 2012 08:00 PM

Kadet Senior ---- Super Night Flyer Build

Kadet Senior ---- Night Flyer!!

I have always thought the Kadet Senior would make a good night flyer. I have seen several with lights stuck on the outside and some with LED tape. I wanted to take it to the next level. Taking advantage of the Kadets open structure I plan on lighting it from inside with a combination of 3-5W LEDs and LED tape. I hope to incorporate some dimming and switching features.

I have not finalized the color scheme. I can't decide on all clear covering, with different color lights, or transparent colored covering and matching lights. Maybe folks can post pictures of their favorite scheme to give me some ideas.

I will build the Kadet mostly according to the directions. Some of the mods I plan are:

• Tail Dragger, no nose wheel
  • Ailerons
  • Less Dihedral, 1 inch
  • Electric power

The plan is to build the Kadet structure and then experiment with some lighting options. First we need to build the plane......

#2 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 14, 2012 08:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We start off with just a plan and a box of sticks. I will put the plan down on a hollow core interior door I use to build on. Then I cover the plan with a special plan protector or just use wax paper. Most of the plane will be built by cutting wood pieces and pinning them directly over the plan.

#3 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 14, 2012 08:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is an old die cut kit, not a laser cut kit. First you have to remove all the ribs from the die cut sheet and clean them up. Square up all the corners and lightly sand the edges true.

#4 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 14, 2012 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Prep all your ribs, use a clothes iron to smooth out the wrinkles in the plan and then tape it down to the door. Cover the plan with plan protector or wax paper, taping it down.

#5 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 14, 2012 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now follow the directions to build one wing half. It looks difficult but it is quite easy and it goes quickly. The wing is build over the plan, pinning the parts in place then gluing with thin CA. The wing is built with a combination of balsa and spruce stringers, check the plan and read the directions carefully.

#6 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 14, 2012 08:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The wing tips have to be cut out of a balsa sheet, then the edges have to be beveled. Many folks leave these wing tips off for simplicity but the are not that hard to make and they really help the looks and flying quality of the model.

***Edit Note****

This is the part that if I could do over, I would make the wing tips out of Depron and put the lights inside them.

#7 IFLYOS Jul 14, 2012 08:46 PM

I love the Senior! Looking forward to your build...

#8 karl k Jul 15, 2012 12:48 AM

Keeping an eye here as well.

#9 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 15, 2012 06:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Now the tip plate is glued to the last rib at a 45 and sheeted on top to form the tip. Scrap blocks form the front and back tip, to be carved to shape. It may sound bad, but your first tip will take 15 minutes to build and the next less than 10.

#10 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 15, 2012 09:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So now we repeat all that and make the other wing half.

The plan calls for 6 inches of dihedral. I decided on 2 inches. I left the first rib not glued. Then I blocked the wing up for 1 inch each side, cut the spars and fit the inboard ribs. Then I glued the two halves together with 30 min epoxy.

I won't be able to use the factory dihedral braces so I will have to cut some out.

I think I will add some CF rod to the center section to strengthen it before I do the sheeting.

#11 rkopka Jul 17, 2012 05:42 AM

I found that yellow transparent covering looks quite well and nearly doesn't change the colour of LEDs.

The plane of my avatar uses that. The LEDs in the middle part are white.

http://kopka.at/Modelle/av2_gelb.jpg

http://kopka.at/Modelle/av_licht06.jpg

RK

#12 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 17, 2012 08:55 AM

Awesome! I love the shot on the water.

#13 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 17, 2012 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I dropped the dihedral down to 1 inch, so I can't use the factory brace.

#14 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 17, 2012 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Instead of cutting plywood braces for the top and bottom I decided to go with carbon fiber. A 6mm CF rod goes down in the slot with a little trimming.

#15 Barn-E-Stormer Jul 17, 2012 09:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I cut a slot in the top spars and inserted a piece of 6mm strip CF. Then drilled holes in the leading and trailing edge of the ribs to insert this 3mm CF tube.