RC Groups

RC Groups
    3D Flying
        Discussion Looking for a good pattern/F3A style aircraft

#1 Howemd Jul 05, 2012 08:17 PM

Looking for a good pattern/F3A style aircraft

I'm looking to get a new pattern/F3A style aircraft as I love how they fly on rails, but I'm not sure which one is lauded as the "best". I have a spare Castle ICE 50A ESC and 4 HS-65MG servos so something that "size" is cheapest/easiest for me.

A few I found are:

3DHS 48" Super Vyper
Extreme Flight 48" Vanquish MKII F3A

What other great pattern style aircraft am I missing?

#2 joesmith285 Jul 05, 2012 08:24 PM

Don't forget the 3DHS 47" Osiris. It's by far the best pattern plane I have flown in this size.

3D hobby Shop 47 Osiris Pilot Joe Smith (5 min 2 sec)

#3 6L6Amp Jul 05, 2012 10:43 PM

Yep. The little Osiris is awesome.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/47-Osiris-BLUE_p_15885.html

#4 stgdz Jul 05, 2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howemd (Post 22085223)

A few I found are:

3DHS 48" Super Vyper
Extreme Flight 48" Vanquish MKII F3A

What other great pattern style aircraft am I missing?

There are probably a couple of others and you could ask in the pattern forum. With that being said, and as much as I like EF, those two planes will probably fly close to the same. Pick what ever one you think looks the best and go from there, I like the look of the vanq. The color scheme really grew on me and it is by far my favorite scheme now.

Its probably my favorite plane to fly but you should really just set these planes up with low rates and fly pattern. Use the closest holes on the aileron and elevator arms. Rudder can go all the way out as it helps with runway manuevering.

Every pilot needs a pattern plane, its the only one I can point to and say.
"That made me a better pilot!"
When set up with low rates it really forces you to focus on drawing clean lines.

#5 HansAuf Jul 12, 2012 12:23 PM

+1 on the Osiris. Completely agree with Joe. I've had a 62" and I'm now assembling the 47". It was actually Joe that recommended it to me when I was talking to him at SEFF last year (2011).