RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multirotor Talk
        Discussion BlueSkyRc Micro Tri-Copter

#1 AlPackin Jun 22, 2012 05:26 PM

BlueSkyRc Micro Tri-Copter

8 Attachment(s)
David was so kind to send me a prototype of his micro tri-copter frame. It goes together really well and in the end was great to fly.

I had a problem along the way because I bought these "great for MR" ESCs from HK and they we're terrible.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_1A_UBEC.html

So anyway, my build uses the openpilot CC FC with a Orange (Spektrum) satellite RX plugged into one of the serial ports. That makes for a really low profile package of FC and RX. I used HK 1811 motors and the finished build uses Proton 10A ESCs. I used a GWS Pico servo on the tail

If you paint the frame like I did make sure you carefully remove the paint from the holes for the tail pivot shaft and the mating surfaces between the tail and the moving tail motor mount.

Servo tape didn't hold the servo rigidly enough so I double wire tied that along with the tape.

#2 AlPackin Jun 22, 2012 05:28 PM

Here is how it flew on the HK ESCs

NutsOn3S (0 min 30 sec)

#3 AlPackin Jun 22, 2012 05:29 PM

and here's how it flew with the Protons

MicroTri2 (1 min 45 sec)

#4 Qrome Jun 22, 2012 06:41 PM

Thanks to AlPackin for helping beta test the kit. I did my beta using the Bob's Super Simple Shield (MultiWii). The kits will be listed for sale on BlueSkyRC.com today or tomorrow.

I am using:

1810 Motors
Gemfan 5030 x 3blade props
MultiWii
500mAh 3s pack
FrSky Rx

Here is my first flights.

Micro Tricopter by BlueSkyRC (1 min 30 sec)

#5 Terrier Jun 22, 2012 08:10 PM

I gotsta have it! :cool:

I've only had the parts on hand, waiting for its release, for about two months now...:rolleyes:

Looking forward to making it fly.

#6 Qrome Jun 22, 2012 09:36 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Ok, the kits are listed.

http://www.blueskyrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=56

The kits include:
  • Plywood parts
  • Aluminum Hinge Tube
  • 8 Nylon Bolts
  • 8 Nylon Nuts
  • 4 Nylon risers
  • Printed Assembly Instructions

Thanks for those that have been patient over the months. I didn't want to release a Tricopter that was not up to snuff -- getting the tail hinge is key and many fail there. Probably one of the reasons you don't see many Tricopter kits.

Big thanks to those that kept pushing and to Ed for helping test with the CopterControl board.

#7 Terrier Jun 22, 2012 10:02 PM

Got my order in...

#8 AlPackin Jun 28, 2012 09:02 PM

I had a great time flying the little tri today, it's so maneuverable ... I'm going to jack up the max stick angles and see if I can flip it :)

MicroTri3 (2 min 15 sec)

#9 Qrome Jun 28, 2012 09:08 PM

AlPackin -- very nice. You will be able to flip it for sure. ;)

#10 Knighthawk517 Jul 03, 2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlPackin (Post 21969573)
David was so kind to send me a prototype of his micro tri-copter frame. It goes together really well and in the end was great to fly.

I had a problem along the way because I bought these "great for MR" ESCs from HK and they we're terrible.

So anyway, my build uses the openpilot CC FC with a Orange (Spektrum) satellite RX plugged into one of the serial ports. That makes for a really low profile package of FC and RX. I used HK 1811 motors and the finished build uses Proton 10A ESCs. I used a GWS Pico servo on the tail

If you paint the frame like I did make sure you carefully remove the paint from the holes for the tail pivot shaft and the mating surfaces between the tail and the moving tail motor mount.

Servo tape didn't hold the servo rigidly enough so I double wire tied that along with the tape.

Hi AlPackin,

I like the connector you have on the servo that connect to the pin. Where can i get that part?

#11 bluescrn Jul 03, 2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlPackin (Post 21969573)
D

Argh, I've just ordered a set of these, was hoping I'd get better stability out of them than my 10A Hobbywing Funflys (Silabs version) that I've got at the moment (currently in a Micro V-Tail, but I've got a Tri frame on order) - but it sounds like they're going to be worse..

Is there a reliable list anywhere of which ESCs are/aren't good for multicopters? (Or which ESCs are rebranded versions of the same thing, as that adds a lot of confusuion!)... I did find the list of SimonK-firmware-compatible ESCs, but most of the lower-amperage models aren't SimonK-compatible, and there's no comments on whether they're multicopter-friendly...

#12 AlPackin Jul 03, 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluescrn (Post 22064268)
Argh, I've just ordered a set of these, was hoping I'd get better stability out of them than my 10A Hobbywing Funflys (Silabs version) that I've got at the moment (currently in a Micro V-Tail, but I've got a Tri frame on order) - but it sounds like they're going to be worse..

Is there a reliable list anywhere of which ESCs are/aren't good for multicopters? (Or which ESCs are rebranded versions of the same thing, as that adds a lot of confusuion!)... I did find the list of SimonK-firmware-compatible ESCs, but most of the lower-amperage models aren't SimonK-compatible, and there's no comments on whether they're multicopter-friendly...

Apparently these can be flashed with Simon-K firmware

#13 AlPackin Jul 03, 2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knighthawk517 (Post 22063745)
Hi AlPackin,

I like the connector you have on the servo that connect to the pin. Where can i get that part?

you mean between the servo arm and the linkage wire? I think I got them from my LHS. I'll look around

#14 AlPackin Jul 03, 2012 01:31 PM

ok here is a link to a similar servo horn connector
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...5.0.0.0?pp=12&

#15 Knighthawk517 Jul 03, 2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlPackin (Post 22064712)
ok here is a link to a similar servo horn connector
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...5.0.0.0?pp=12&

Thanks AlPackin!! yes, that is the part I have interest.