RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Discussion HalfBad

#1 1000MPH Jun 20, 2012 11:47 PM

HalfBad

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a great little 24" plane now being sold through Matin at NCFM.
The Half Bad.
I'm not really happy with my build on this one and it still needs some tweaking to get if flying well. Other folks are flying them from light to really heavy. I have another kit so we will see...

#2 Buenperro Oct 25, 2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000MPH (Post 21954419)
Here's a great little 24" plane now being sold through Matin at NCFM.
The Half Bad.
I'm not really happy with my build on this one and it still needs some tweaking to get if flying well. Other folks are flying them from light to really heavy. I have another kit so we will see...

What didn't you like about your build on this wing? I just received one as a gift and I'd appreciate any imput you might have to build this correctly. Also, what did you set the control throws to?

Thanks,
Rob

#3 1000MPH Oct 25, 2012 12:45 PM

Rob, I can't remember the throws, I would start with 1/8 +- for ele and 1/4+- for aileron low rates and a little more for high.
I would definitely ditch the beveled TE and bevel the elevons, easier to get the TE more acurate. also ditch the horns for dubro.
Other considerations for a DSer would be...
upgraded elevons (tapered stock)
spar and TE sub spar
larger battery

...or just build it light and stock.

#4 Buenperro Oct 25, 2012 04:58 PM

Thank you for the great tips. I really like the covering job on your Halfbad as well as your other models. If you don't mind me asking, what did you cover your Halfbad with. I was going to use Ultracote.
Thanks again,
Rob

#5 1000MPH Nov 12, 2012 09:25 AM

I like Monokote more than Ultracoat.