RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Plane Talk
        Discussion About to put ailerons on my radian. What do I need? (Servos, etc)

#1 qwerty11 Jun 04, 2012 10:43 AM

About to put ailerons on my radian. What do I need? (Servos, etc)

Like the title says I'm about to put ailerons on. Could you guys please help me with the parts lists as for as servos, wires, horns, rods, etc. This is foreign territory for me.

#2 cmdl Jun 04, 2012 10:53 AM

i just put ailerons on my cub last week. i used: servos, pushrods, horns, y-harness, wires, exacto knife (#11 blade), tape (which i also used as hinge), ruler, wire cutters, pliers. take your time with measuring and cutting.

#3 dkrhardy Jun 04, 2012 12:08 PM

Will the rcvr allow you to add another servo? You may not have an open channel. If not, you will also need a new rcvr.
Don

#4 qwerty11 Jun 04, 2012 03:37 PM

Ive got an orange six channel with aux. Which servos, pushrods, horns, and y harness do you recommend?

#5 Threshold Jun 05, 2012 01:36 AM

Why? the plane is designed for rudder only. Its especially designed to thermal really well which the rudder and wing shape helps it to do. With that dihedral built into the shape of the wings it is not going to like ailerons. And you simply end up making it heavier which makes it less able to thermal in light conditions which it is superb at.

#6 Rockin Robbins Jun 05, 2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Threshold (Post 21805905)
Why? the plane is designed for rudder only. Its especially designed to thermal really well which the rudder and wing shape helps it to do. With that dihedral built into the shape of the wings it is not going to like ailerons. And you simply end up making it heavier which makes it less able to thermal in light conditions which it is superb at.

Ditto to Threshold. This plane flies amazingly the way it was designed. It won't fly any better with ailerons and you'll be adding weight.

Why do you want to add ailerons to a plane that already can do rolling circles without them?

#7 ArneHu Jun 05, 2012 07:11 AM

If the Radian had straight wings, ailerons will be useful. But with the bend wings, it don't need ailerons. But if you want you can make air brakes. Take a look at the big Radian thread in Electric Gliders Topic.

#8 dedStik Jun 05, 2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Threshold (Post 21805905)

The Radian pro has the same design but with ailerons. The wing airfoil and dihedral can handle ailerons.

Radian Pro

EDIT:

I take that back, but I'm leaving my original statement.

The radian does have way more flex in it's design. I wouldn't do an aileron mod on it.

Ask Radian owners if the Pro wing will mate with the Radian. If so buy a Radian Pro replacement wing and mount it on your plane.

#9 Ed Couch Jun 05, 2012 09:25 AM

For what its worth don't. I fly both quite a lot and the Radion is a much better thermal ship than the Radion Pro. On several occasions I have had the ailerons lock up while in a nose down attitude due to wing flex. Once causing me to roll into the ground. Cost me a new fuselage. I went back and did the same thing at altitude and danged if it did not do it again. Pulled throttle and brought the nose up and all was well. Got to looking and the flaps and ailerons would touch under g load. Other than the lighter motor on the Radion which is still plenty good for normal flight I prefer that over my Pro. On the Radion Pro I do like the flaps and I use a Go Pro camera mounted under one wing and the ailerons allow me to easily adjust the trim due to the camera mounted off the center line. It is your choice but I've been at this game for over 50 years and been there and done it many times. Follow the "KISS" principle and all will work out. KISS = Keep it simple stupid. ed

#10 fmw Jun 05, 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedStik (Post 21807345)
The Radian pro has the same design but with ailerons. The wing airfoil and dihedral can handle ailerons.

Radian Pro

EDIT:

I take that back, but I'm leaving my original statement.

The radian does have way more flex in it's design. I wouldn't do an aileron mod on it.

Ask Radian owners if the Pro wing will mate with the Radian. If so buy a Radian Pro replacement wing and mount it on your plane.

The Radian Pro has a very different wing. It is a poor flyer in my opinion while the Radian is quite easy to fly. Mountiong it to the plane isn't easy either. The Pro wings attach with screws while the radian wings are held in place by friction. That's another reason not to put ailerons on it.

#11 dedStik Jun 05, 2012 10:24 AM

Yeah I saw that looking closely at the pics about the wing shape, that's why I edited the post. I figured I'd leave it in case anyone else was thinking the same thing.