RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Discussion Newbie Long Distance Flying Question

#1 HoosierGuy May 08, 2012 03:49 PM

Newbie Long Distance Flying Question

I'm still a newbie to gliders. My first and only glider is a Harbor Freight electric glider. But I'm getting close to buying more gliders.

I enjoy watching on YouTube the videos of gliders flying over cities. I've noticed it's usually in Asia (China).

Do people actually put GPS units in their gliders and let the GPS fly the glider to a destination? If so, how far can a glider fly? Is that legal in the U.S. and if it is, what is the cost of a basic set-up? Can I get the equipment (minus glider) for under $1,000?

My dream is to get a glider and let a GPS guide it to a relatives farm house about ten miles away. Is that impossible or are people doing those kind of things now?

Thanks

#2 Libelle201B May 08, 2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierGuy (Post 21556140)
I'm still a newbie to gliders. My first and only glider is a Harbor Freight electric glider. But I'm getting close to buying more gliders.

I enjoy watching on YouTube the videos of gliders flying over cities. I've noticed it's usually in Asia (China).

Do people actually put GPS units in their gliders and let the GPS fly the glider to a destination? If so, how far can a glider fly? Is that legal in the U.S. and if it is, what is the cost of a basic set-up? Can I get the equipment (minus glider) for under $1,000?

My dream is to get a glider and let a GPS guide it to a relatives farm house about ten miles away. Is that impossible or are people doing those kind of things now?

Thanks

Look under the forum, Aircraft- Exotic and Special Interest and then scroll down to UAV.

#3 Windrider53 May 08, 2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierGuy (Post 21556140)
Is that legal in the U.S.

No. The plane must remain within sight of the pilot.

#4 HoosierGuy May 08, 2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windrider53 (Post 21556689)
No. The plane must remain within sight of the pilot.

Ok, that answers it then. Thanks.

#5 Keenan smith May 08, 2012 05:10 PM

Awnser Is ...... Drum rolll Please................
Binoculars....

#6 tkallev May 09, 2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k.smith459 (Post 21556935)
Awnser Is ...... Drum rolll Please................
Binoculars....

Nope:

AMA Safety Code reads:

The pilot of a RC model aircraft shall:
(a) Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.

#7 Keenan smith May 09, 2012 03:53 PM

BMFA says nothing of the Sort...

#8 awilmunder May 09, 2012 06:39 PM

Another place to look is under Sailplanes -> Cross Country Soaring. For this activity you need to become very proficient at soaring since after launching, you get into vehicles and a driver follows a road route while the pilot flies the aircraft. Current record is over 140 miles.