RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Build Log San Diego Slopers Shrike build party..

#1 ORANATOR Apr 22, 2012 12:43 PM

San Diego Slopers Shrike build party..

San Diego Slopers Shrike build party..

I always wanted to learn to make and lay-up molds and had a hard time getting someone to show me how in the end I just went for it... I read articles and watched a video or 2 but there is no substitute to having someone right there walking you through it......
The same goes for bagging a wing, I watched the videos and I never really felt comfortable doing it until I had someone walk me through the process and now.... IT'S NO SWEAT!

My idea for this build is to give others the same help that I so desperately wanted and found so hard to find. I will make available my time and mold so you can come by and lay-up a fuse and this will be your fuse, you can make it light, medium or a heavy using any combination of glass, kevlar or carbon. I will lay-up several fuses in the next few weeks so you can look and feel the weight to get and idea of what you want. I will let you know when I am doing this so if you are available you can come by and watch and or help.

Wings:
I will cut and supply you with mylars and you will paint them and bring them back on a set date and we will split into 2-3 man teams and bag the wings. This will be the actual build day probaly on a Saturday from morning until past dinner time. All the food and drink will be provided.

Now what is it going to take to make this happen I don't have and exact # of man hours to prep the cores, make jigs, prep the tails, cut the mylars, cut the glass, cut the carbon, cut the kevlar, drill the booms, drill the fuses, and the many other things that have to be done before the big day. I want a commitment of at least 2-4 hours of labor from each participant. I will have a few weekend get togethers to help get all this stuff done and you will have to come and help in some way and we will lay-up a fuse and bag a wing each time so you can see the process once before the big day when YOURS goes into the bag.

COST: $200
For this I will supply you with all you need to make a Carbon bagged Shrike (less electronics) and the pride of knowing that you did it yourself.

WHEN:
I was thinking of having the build day Saturday June 2nd.
With 2 or 3 Saturdays before then to get things done, even though I will probaly do them myself during the week when I get time.

I think to make this manageable I should limit this to 20 or so people.
If interested reply to this thread and a PM so I we can make payment arrangements.

Participants:

wr_mizzard (James)
slopein scale (Will)
Ward Hagaman (Ward)......PAID
baldyman (Jim).....(PAID)
UberZogster (Karl).............PAID
Oranator

#2 agarchitect Apr 22, 2012 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Give a man a SHRIKE and he flies one till the the first crash. Teach a man to build a SHRIKE and he flies one for a lifetime.

Wish I could join you...sounds like a good time.
Adam

#3 SumthinsFishy Apr 22, 2012 10:09 PM

I'm looking forward to this but the 2nd may be a problem:(

#4 wr_mizzard Apr 22, 2012 10:50 PM

Oran, you are the MAN!

Count me in! I return to the states mid-May so I should be available those couple weekends before the big day.

-James

#5 Tehachapi Jim Apr 22, 2012 11:27 PM

I should be able to make this happen Oran. Not 100%, but close.

Jim

#6 slopein scale Apr 22, 2012 11:58 PM

Im in... your the man always wanted to learn how to do it
sounds like a great time

#7 JGAF Apr 23, 2012 12:12 AM

I'll help out

Justin

#8 ORANATOR Apr 23, 2012 02:12 PM

Just ordered a bunch of glass.....

Who wants to be first to lay-up a fuse?

Oranator

#9 slopein scale Apr 23, 2012 02:23 PM

Im down never done it before

#10 ORANATOR Apr 23, 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopein scale (Post 21414697)

PM when you might be able to start.

Oranator

#11 Twyl Apr 23, 2012 06:54 PM

Wow, that's really cool of you man. If only I actually owned my own free time or I'd be there! Always wanted a Shrike.

-Jonathan

#12 tcarr Apr 24, 2012 03:46 AM

How cool are you! And generous. It sounds like a great opportunity. Unfortunately I can/t make this one but I woudl sure like to attend the next one(?)

#13 ORANATOR Apr 24, 2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slopein scale (Post 21414697)

Hey Will,
How does this Saturday the 28th sound? Start midmorning?

Anybody else want to come and hang out? There is plenty to do.

Oranator

#14 slopein scale Apr 24, 2012 10:21 AM

Sounds good see you then

#15 c0dem0nkey Apr 25, 2012 12:09 AM

Oran

This sounds like a good deal for one of the best twisty wing planes out there. Learning the basics to layup carbon wings is worth this alone....sweet deal.

Wish I could join but I'm working on another project. Count me in when you have a build party for this

http://grist.org/list/human-wings-th...to-air-travel/

Dan