RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Sailplanes
        Discussion How to set up and trim an EP glider

#1 JJ460 Mar 23, 2012 09:27 PM

How to set up and trim an EP glider

I am new to soaring and I just purchased a used Sprint Elite that was converted to EP. I balanced it to the original specs and setup 2 servo wings so I can have crow, flap, soar settings. I would like to know what settings to start out with and if there is a procedure for adjusting the trims, like there is for an acrobatic plane.
Tx JJ460

#2 wsnowfall Mar 23, 2012 11:09 PM

get Naton dvd on sailplane clinic. he uses a spirit as an example of really trim a plane. he is a strong flyer with mad skills.

your question is complex and has a lot of varialbe. the real question is how much exp do you have? is this your first ailerion glider? they have less stability built into them. they are ot a gentle lady .

also is the engine a brushed or brushless motor (are there two or three wires out of the motor) have three flight modes, crow etc is too much for some one new to soaring. find a glider club and join it.

the key setting for the wing is differental. more up than down radio carbon glider series are the best way to learn. they are sometimes for sale on rc groups

good luck Bll

#3 JJ460 Mar 24, 2012 08:27 PM

followup

Bll,
Thank you for the lead. It looks like Paul Naton is the current guru regarding setup instruction. I was also able to find some links associated with Naton's video sold via Radio Carbon Art. that gave me an overview of the setup . The "Performance Tuning a Sailplane" video looks like exactly what I need.
Tx again JJ460