RC Groups

RC Groups
    High Performance
        Discussion Motor, ESC, propeller recommendations for Hawk F5B/Wilco

#1 skybattle Mar 13, 2012 05:21 AM

Motor, ESC, propeller recommendations for Hawk F5B/Wilco

Dear friends,

I am thinking in buying a Hawk F5B/Wilco (I think is the same plane) and I have a no clear idea about motor and propeller. For 4S-5S confirguration.

I have read something about boxgears, but I am not very convinced.

What do you recommend me or have you tested? On the other hand, does it fit anything more than 36 mm. diameter?

What are the advantages of having a low kv motor (600 kv, for example) in hotliners?

Thank you in advance.

#2 henke Mar 13, 2012 05:39 AM

I did one with a Hacker B50 13S 6.7:1 swinging a 16" prop on a 6S 3000mAh pack. Probably not competition performance but still enough to impress and easy to handle. Also everything landed cool.

#3 jackosmeister Mar 13, 2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

I have read something about boxgears, but I am not very convinced.
No point screwing around with outrunners direct drive, unless you want a budget warmliner.

Be very convinced that a higher kV motor through a gearbox will provide far better performance ;)

Quote:

What are the advantages of having a low kv motor (600 kv, for example) in hotliners?
None, other than its cheap.

#4 jjmouris Mar 13, 2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackosmeister (Post 21019765)
No point screwing around with outrunners direct drive, unless you want a budget warmliner.

Be very convinced that a higher kV motor through a gearbox will provide far better performance ;)

None, other than its cheap.

+1

Recommend you try Kontronik Kira 600-38 with their 6.7:1 gearbox and use cheap Red Brick 200A controller and Turnigy 4S 3000mah 30C Lipo.

Prop, use RFM 16x17 slim with 38mm strait spinner.

That is about as cheap as it gets with reliable componants.

#5 Gerben Mar 13, 2012 04:03 PM

Either Kira 600-38/6.7 of Hacker B50-6L/6.7 would be a good choice on 4S for the Hawk.

The Hacker having the slight benefit that if you would ever consider switching to a 5S setup (in a different plane preferably, too much power for the Hawk), it would be safer and more suitable to run on 5S.

Regards,
Gerben

#6 jjmouris Mar 13, 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerben (Post 21024246)
Either Kira 600-38/6.7 of Hacker B50-6L/6.7 would be a good choice on 4S for the Hawk.

The Hacker having the slight benefit that if you would ever consider switching to a 5S setup (in a different plane preferably, too much power for the Hawk), it would be safer and more suitable to run on 5S.

Regards,
Gerben

Agreed.

A cheap source could be lipoly.de

:)

#7 skybattle Mar 13, 2012 05:02 PM

Thank you to everyone for your answers. I have a Sprinter one, so I was not thinking in repeating a cheap motor (and cheap performance ;)).

You have answered all my doubts. The Sprinter is actually a warmliner, but I understand that even the Hawk is a "little hotliner" compared to others :cool:.

Day to day I am aware of the importance of fitting the perfect motor in the perfect plane!

Regards,

Fermin

#8 Arcteryxxx Mar 13, 2012 05:06 PM

This is what I use in my Hawk these days. Not been able to get much flight time lately, but the setup seems good so far.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=151

Good luck and have fun:)

#9 jjmouris Mar 14, 2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skybattle (Post 21024836)
Thank you to everyone for your answers. I have a Sprinter one, so I was not thinking in repeating a cheap motor (and cheap performance ;)).

You have answered all my doubts. The Sprinter is actually a warmliner, but I understand that even the Hawk is a "little hotliner" compared to others :cool:.

Day to day I am aware of the importance of fitting the perfect motor in the perfect plane!

Regards,

Fermin

The Hawk is fully composite, the Sprinter has a two part wing and the wing is made out of foam with balsa skin. The Hawk has been proven to be strong in the air, the Sprinter.......

It's like going from a push bike to a 250cc bike.

;)

#10 skybattle Mar 14, 2012 06:43 AM

Thank you again for your comments.

Yes, I was a little disappointed with the Sprinter, because it is easy to imagine what will happen in a fast turn... It flies well, but not for extreme maneuvers.

I am thinking in a 3 minutes flight more or less, so Kira or Hacker are very good options. Although expensive, it can be an investment for future :).

But Arcteryxxx recommendation can be something interesting (for a short and intense flight at low price!).

#11 henke Mar 14, 2012 07:03 AM

About flight time you will never be able to empty your pack in 3min :-P The setup I mentioned landed completely cool after 10min show flights, I can not imagine the packs beeing empty before the timer says 30minutes. A hotliner only uses the power in like 5sec burts you know.

#12 Arcteryxxx Mar 14, 2012 07:56 AM

Flight time vs. motor time....
;)

#13 jjmouris Mar 14, 2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skybattle (Post 21030014)
Thank you again for your comments.

Yes, I was a little disappointed with the Sprinter, because it is easy to imagine what will happen in a fast turn... It flies well, but not for extreme maneuvers.

I am thinking in a 3 minutes flight more or less, so Kira or Hacker are very good options. Although expensive, it can be an investment for future :).

But Arcteryxxx recommendation can be something interesting (for a short and intense flight at low price!).

Expensive is in the eye of the beholder. Many people spend a lot more money on other things and also on other parts for this hobby. It's far more easy to buy a Hacker or Kontronik motor with the factory guaranty then it is to put a cheaper drive together that will last equally as long. Specially when you are a novice at these things.

For the full story;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5+dollar+motor

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8+dollar+motor

:)

#14 henke Mar 14, 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmouris (Post 21030971)

If I mention my $1000+++ NEU paper weight again I think you guys will kill me :)

#15 Arcteryxxx Mar 14, 2012 01:24 PM

That will be a beast of a over-spec'ed paperweight:D