RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Discussion Slope soaring near Champaign, Illinois?

#1 surfimp Mar 11, 2012 11:56 AM

Slope soaring near Champaign, Illinois?

Can I crowdsource some reccos for slope soaring sites near Champaign, Illinois?

I have a buddy who lives in Champaign and is getting fired up about slope soaring again. He grew up in California but moved out there for work. Any good spots within a "reasonable" drive?

Thanks!

Steve

#2 george@dream-flight Mar 12, 2012 09:37 AM

Thanks Steve!....but I think the Chicago area is going to be my best bet....or something down near the Mississippi river bordering Missouri.
I started a thread about the Naperville Greene Vally Hill a week or so ago...and got some good feedback.

gr

#3 surfimp Mar 12, 2012 10:14 AM

I tried! :)

Steve

#4 nauga Mar 12, 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_rod22x (Post 21010881)
...something down near the Mississippi river bordering Missouri.

I've read about people sloping Fults Hill down by Valmeyer but personally never tried it - drove past it a few times and thought it looked OK but not worth going back and getting a floater. When I moved to St. Louis I searched for a good site for a while thinking there had to be a river bluff somewhere that would work but eventually gave up. There were also a few promising bluffs around Hannibal but they never panned out. Did have fun zipping down the river looking, though. ;)

Nauga,
who wishes he had better news

#5 Big Gas Mar 12, 2012 03:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are a ton of bluffs across the river from St. Louis. I've got a lot of family out there and in Alton close by. The bluffs look promising, (My mom is requesting I spread here ashes over them) so they must be special.

#6 george@dream-flight Apr 09, 2012 09:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I went on a recon mission this Saturday...heading south again from Champaign.
After a couple 2 or 3 minute flights at a freeway overpass spot...(lame) with my new Weasel....I began my trek to the southern most tip of Lake Shelbyville...to the dam there.
When I got there I was shocked at the sight of this elevation change! I mean...here in the cornbelt....you don't see many things taller than a grain silo!
When I got there the breeze was maybe 2-3mph.
The south facing slope of the dam will def be flyable. The walk out over the road and hoping a guardrail might be a little sketchy...but doable for sure.
I flew a powered warmliner foamie from the west facing slope of the "bowl".
Lots of fun....people would slow and check out the flying. No hassles.
It is about an hour and a half from my house....and I have friends on the lake...so I will be monitoring the spot. It has great potential for south and west winds....and a couple workable spots if it is blowing north.
note* The guardrail is 50/50 grindable Steve ;-) I may have got a good wing half "ping!" off it.

#7 surfimp Apr 09, 2012 12:44 PM

Score!

Steve

#8 L Jenkins Apr 09, 2012 08:04 PM

Nice find!

Lew