RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Discussion The Waterproof body

#1 Doblao Mar 07, 2012 12:40 PM

The Waterproof body

7 Attachment(s)
As part of my project for a microquad toy concept...IŽve started to play with vacuum forming and ABS plastic to get the features I think I would like to find in a toy microquadcopter:
Light
Crash Resistant
Waterproof (even underwater proof)

Yes...the last feature is on my own..but as I want to play with this toy in summer...IŽll have to take it to beach...pools...and lot of other places where water and moisture are a common element...so I started this design having that feature as main goal...and letting the other two adapt to this one.

Hope You like it,
Saludos,
Jose

#2 Doblao Mar 08, 2012 05:29 AM

hmmm

3 Attachment(s)
Not happy with results...I mean its waterproof..but i dont c it really as resistant as I would like..so time to try another option...rubber coating...playing with colours too

#3 thanhTran Mar 15, 2012 12:07 AM

Maybe just need different material?

#4 Doblao Mar 15, 2012 04:51 AM

materials

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanhTran (Post 21038452)
Maybe just need different material?

Keep thinking abs plastic is good cause of his features for a toy. Would like to try also lexan and similars but unfortunately this is Spain, so no sheets available that I know of...and shopping sheets overseas is killing in shipping cost...

Saludos,
Jose

#5 cybadredd Mar 20, 2012 09:57 AM

how about this? now you have a few "plugs" maybe you can use them as molds for epoxy and cloth? as this size i think you could cut up old curtains,set them with epoxy then release them from the "plug" you have already made? might make things cheaper......

#6 Doblao Mar 20, 2012 07:08 PM

hmmmm

this is how all started...with fiberglass... http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2015.24.32.jpg but then i did not have the molds..
So now probably time to go back to epoxi...but this time with molds...have around several fiberglass clothes really thin and also the ultrathin CF clothes...so maybe should give them a try...
Saludos,
Jose

#7 cybadredd Mar 21, 2012 10:12 AM

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...2010.48.47.jpg

cover this with cloth and epoxy :) once set keep making till plastic is knackered lol :) please fill in gap between motor pod and arm so the shape is constant along the arm, and i am happy to send you my ducted one for some of your epoxed cloth frames :D