RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale ARF/RTF
        Discussion Engine Sound Generator

#1 Jockadopolus Mar 04, 2012 02:56 AM

Engine Sound Generator
 
Any one have experience of this product from Russia
Sound quality?
Easy to fit?
Value for money?

http://tpvelectronics.ucoz.ru/

Joe

#2 JIMA Mar 04, 2012 07:32 AM

That is really cool. Would love to have sound on my models. But there was no price on the site.

Jim

#3 Jockadopolus Mar 04, 2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMA (Post 20932653)
That is really cool. Would love to have sound on my models. But there was no price on the site.

Jim

I was quoted 45euros inc postage but I would like to know more from anyone who has bought one
Joe

#4 Bill Smudge Mar 04, 2012 07:48 AM

I believe there are several companies making these devices, my Ruskie is a bit rough, so hard to make out any details. Videos sound neat though.

Bill

#5 foamnpacktape Mar 04, 2012 08:07 AM

This is something most of us would love to have, and is not a novel idea, one has to wonder if it is in any way practical as if it were it should be everywhere already. I have played with the idea a bit, and had practically zero success, but I am certainly not the best person for the job.

20ma is all I can glean from the specs? 7 - 20V? that at best is .4 watts, not exactly a stellar hi fi number.



Before blowing 45 euros I would want to hear from someone who actually tried out the product......

Mmmmm, disregard everything I have said:

What a great idea, don't delay, get one today.;)

Carey.

#6 E-Challenged Mar 04, 2012 08:27 AM

The Benedini sound system is pretty popular, lots of You Tub videos of models with engine sounds :

http://www.benedini.de/Home_E/home_e.html

#7 Jockadopolus Mar 04, 2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Smudge (Post 20932743)
I believe there are several companies making these devices, my Ruskie is a bit rough, so hard to make out any details. Videos sound neat though.

Bill

There is an English page click the UK flag link top right
Others on the market are too expensive for me

Yes I would like to hear from anyone with one
Joe

#8 Bill Smudge Mar 04, 2012 11:28 AM

I saw/heard one last July. It was in a Sopwith Pup. It takes a pretty good size model to implement. Really was fun to hear the engine start up, rev up and fly by. This particular setup was not quite loud enough, it did not compete to well with the ambiant noise that day. On a quiet day it would have been great. Gas motor sounds dround it out.

Bill

This wasn't the plane but it was a lot like this.


Onboard sound system - Sopwith Camel (1 min 39 sec)

#9 thomanie Mar 04, 2012 02:18 PM

I have one of the TPV systems.

Quick delivery, nice guy to deal with.

You get 2 sounds on the board, selectable by jumper. Sounds are not user uploadable (AFAIK), and there's no gun module or the like. Sound quality is acceptable for the price I'd say. Mine was not as good as some of the other units I've seen/heard videos of. Surely the other circuitry will play a part here too, and in all honesty I only wired it all together using a (decent) PC speaker with built in amp to test it in a hurry just to make sure it worked.

You still need a decent amp, speaker and possibly battery for the install, so the savings isn't really that great over some of the others if you buy everything off the shelf. If you're on a budget, and can source/built the other stuff needed - it's quickly becoming a vastly better deal.

Upside is he seemed to offer some sounds others don't - russian WW2 radials for one.

T

#10 Jockadopolus Mar 04, 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomanie (Post 20935859)
I have one of the TPV systems.

Quick delivery, nice guy to deal with.

You get 2 sounds on the board, selectable by jumper. Sounds are not user uploadable (AFAIK), and there's no gun module or the like. Sound quality is acceptable for the price I'd say. Mine was not as good as some of the other units I've seen/heard videos of. Surely the other circuitry will play a part here too, and in all honesty I only wired it all together using a (decent) PC speaker with built in amp to test it in a hurry just to make sure it worked.

You still need a decent amp, speaker and possibly battery for the install, so the savings isn't really that great over some of the others if you buy everything off the shelf. If you're on a budget, and can source/built the other stuff needed - it's quickly becoming a vastly better deal.

Upside is he seemed to offer some sounds others don't - russian WW2 radials for one.

T

T
Many thanks for the feedback this is what I was hoping for
Do you have to order the sound with the unit?
Have you tried it in a model?
Joe

#11 thomanie Mar 04, 2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jockadopolus
Do you have to order the sound with the unit?

Yes, you specify which 2 on his list you want preloaded on your unit - or ask politely if it's not on the list :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jockadopolus
Have you tried it in a model?

No (not yet).

T

#12 foamnpacktape Mar 04, 2012 05:51 PM

The unit is just a sound generator than, with a signal out? That makes more sense, I guess I should have known, .4 watts indeed.:o
I always wanted to do a LED lit UFO complete with UFOey sounds.

On a balsa/film aircraft one of these units might be a good substitute for a heavy, power hungry speaker.

http://www.mavromatic.com/2004/05/speakerless-speaker/

Carey.

#13 Jockadopolus Mar 05, 2012 12:54 AM

T
Many thanks can you keep us updated when you try it in a model

Carey
Very interesting option for speakers
Joe

#14 Wood Duck Mar 05, 2012 03:22 PM

You might want to look at Mr RC Sound as well. He has posted some information on the FMS T-28 thread in the Electric Warbirds forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56951&page=283

His system comes with sound card, amp, and 1 or 2 speakers. The 1 speaker system puts out 22 W and gets a sound level of 92 db and weighs 7 oz. He has two different sound cards, each with four different engine sounds.

Dave

#15 Jockadopolus Mar 05, 2012 03:47 PM

Dave thank you for the link
Very interesting and the price is getting better
Joe


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.