RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Help! Need tips on installing push rods inside boom

#1 hog2soar Mar 02, 2012 09:58 AM

Need tips on installing push rods inside boom

Anyone have any good tips on how to install pushrods inside a boom?

How do you glue the tubing against the inside of the boom?

Thanks for any advice.

Eddie

#2 John Walter Mar 02, 2012 10:05 AM

Put a piece of music wire inside the pushrod tube, then use magnets on the outside of the fuse to hold the tube firmly to the inside of fuse. Run thin CA inside the fuse along the tube, wait for it to set and you are done.

#3 soarx4 Mar 02, 2012 10:30 AM

Do as John suggest, but additionally, put 2-3 wraps of masking tape around the push rod housing every 2 inches or so. This will better bond the CA to the rod.

#4 ozmo01 Mar 02, 2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Walter (Post 20914532)
Put a piece of music wire inside the pushrod tube, then use magnets on the outside of the fuse to hold the tube firmly to the inside of fuse. Run thin CA inside the fuse along the tube, wait for it to set and you are done.

Nice tip! Just remember to put the fridge magnets back on the fridge;)

Knock or break old motor magnets out of dead electric motors for this kind of use. They are also good for hatches etc

#5 glidermang Mar 02, 2012 08:03 PM

Eddie:

What John Walter suggests is the most common way to do it, and works well. I endorse it.

This also works: fix the tubing (with push rod inside) to the external fuselage at one end, then pull it tight at the other. When it's tight, CA the other end. In the one case I have had of looseness inside (I could hear something banging when I shook the boom), what I did was stuff a packing peanut down the boom. I've done push rods this way on many airplanes (including my two, present Blaster 3's; and a 2-meter Dove I found in 2009) and nothing yet has ever come loose in flight or otherwise.

It's an esthetic thing for me. The best bet is still to run the push rods outside: you can see them, they are secure 100%, there is no measureable drag.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg

#6 Bob Cook Mar 03, 2012 08:22 AM

HI Hog,

It also helps to lightly sand the push rod housing to take off the glossy sheen.

Bob in Seattle

#7 Airbud Mar 04, 2012 06:22 PM

Its a good idea to also wrap tape around both ends of the tube to prevent CA from getting into the tube while gluing. It would reduce the inside diameter of the tube if it got in.