RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Sailplanes
        Build Log SCALE BUILDER VIRGIN: Gerasis DG-800 build

#1 Dave Garwood Feb 17, 2012 03:56 PM

SCALE BUILDER VIRGIN: Gerasis DG-800 build

2 Attachment(s)
After 105 RC model builds, comes my first "real" (fiberglass) scale sailplane, a 3.6 meter DG-800 from the Gerasis kit.
My question today is: What adhesive is recommended for securing the canopy clear part to the light gray canopy surround?

The canopy clear part looks and feels like all the vacuum formed canopies I have seen in the past.
The light grey canopy surround rail is a "slippery" plastic, like Dura-Lene or 35mm film cans holders.

Candidates in my mind are:
1. Beacon Adhesives QUICK-GRIP
2. Pacer Formula 560 CANOPY GLUE
3. Ponal EXPRESS
4. EPOXY - after roughing up both sides

Advice from those who have solved this problem will be appreciated.

// Dave

I am aware of and thankful for these RC Groups threads:

THREAD: OLD Gerasis DG-800 build (have glider, what now?)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...gerasis+dg+800

THREAD: Nearly wrecked my Gerasis 3.6m DG-800!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320479

#2 jtlsf5 Feb 17, 2012 04:00 PM

Dave,
Use the canopy glue. Water based, dries clear, all the right things for something as visible as a canopy.

Hope you've been keeping well.

JT

#3 Lbuff1 Feb 17, 2012 05:14 PM

Dave, Pro's like Dennis Brandt and others use Zap A Dap A Goo. I learned from them and it works very well, Its like a shoe goo type material.

LEN
www.RcAerotowing.com
www.RcAerotowing.com/forum

#4 s2000 Feb 17, 2012 10:11 PM

Dave, Zap a Dao a Goo is the bomb! Years ago when I was doing movie models with Larry Jolly, I learned that this stuff was the best for holding clear canopies on model Helicopters that were going to be blown up, we DID NOT want the canopy to blow off the fiberglass fuselage in one piece since we had high speed cameras close in on the model, we found the the Goo made the clear canopies shatter in a very scale manner, this stuff dries totally clear, it is far superior to any other product I have used. Dennis B.

#5 Dave Garwood Feb 18, 2012 07:34 AM

All purpose workshop adhesive and sealant

JT, Len, Dennis,

Two votes for Zap-a-Dap-a-Goo. I think I'll try that.
What's more, I found half a tube of the stuff in my toolbox.

The tube says:
- All purpose workshop adhesive and sealant
- Bonds virtually everything
- Remains flexible
- Works where others won't

Thank you, gents.
// Dave

#6 Dave Garwood Feb 26, 2012 12:52 PM

Canopy glue success

3 Attachment(s)
The Zap-a-Dap-Goo II worked great as canopy glue.
I think RC-56 Canopy Glue would have worked fine also - there was plenty of surface area.

The RC-56 Canopy Glue cleans up with water until it sets up.
The Zap-a-Dap-Goo II cleans up with Goo Gone after it's cured.

I wanted a tint that looks like the cap on the tint spray can. I might have overdone it.
We'll see if the pilot figure is visible out in the sunlight.

// Dave

#7 Dave Garwood Feb 26, 2012 01:00 PM

This horizontal looks way too small to me

1 Attachment(s)
Remembering that I am a (fiberglass) scale plane newbie, the 3.6 meter DG-800 horizontal stabilizer looks way, way, way too small to me.
The vertical stabilizer looks as it should to me.

Did I get the wrong part? I'm fearful I won't have enough elevator authority.
I'm very tempted to build a larger horizontal - at least add a larger elevator?

Attached are photos of others or my horizontals so you can see what I'm used to.

Advice for the newbie, please.

// Dave

#8 Thermaleer Feb 26, 2012 01:29 PM

Looks about right Dave, but your canopy.....Beware of letting it sit in the sun! Ask me how I know! Great job with the zap goo!

#9 Dave Garwood Feb 26, 2012 02:20 PM

Thermaleer

> Beware of letting it sit in the sun! Ask me how I know!

Good tip. Thanks.

> Great job with the zap goo!

I'm very lucky it cleans up with Goo Gone, even after curing.

// Dave

#10 rcsoar4fun Feb 26, 2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Garwood (Post 20864082)
Remembering that I am a (fiberglass) scale plane newbie, the 3.6 meter DG-800 horizontal stabilizer looks way, way, way too small to me.

This is a common issue with the smaller scale stuff. The stabs are very small compared to r/c stuff. Normally it is an issue in slow flight and particularly off winch/highstart launches. Most scale stuff will do very unscale maneuvers if launched like the average TD bird.

#11 Lbuff1 Feb 26, 2012 06:51 PM

Dave,
The Stab is fine, also, you will only have VERY little control throw in he elevator. It never seems like enough sitting on the bench. In the air, its perfectly fine.

len
www.rcAerotowing.com

#12 SZD16 Feb 26, 2012 08:35 PM

What Len said......set the elevator for what the plans say and then set dual rates at 50% of that just in case you need less throw.

#13 bie Feb 27, 2012 05:06 AM

Hi,

donít worry, I can confirm: The stab definitely works as it should (at least it did in the last 15 years)Ö

Andy

#14 Sailhigh Feb 27, 2012 12:10 PM

Dave,
Plane looking good so far. Make sure you have some ventilation holes in the cockpit floor (if any), otherwise your dark canopy will warp under the hot sun. Stab size is fine and you'll find in modern scale planes you won't need much elevator movement for pitch authority.

Sean

#15 Dave Garwood Feb 28, 2012 09:18 PM

Tiny Dancer tail parts

4 Attachment(s)
rcsoar4fun, Len, SZD16, Andy, Sean,

Thank you Gents, for your reassurance. I'll go with my factory-supplied Tiny Dancer tail parts.
I'm not planning to winch launch this one. Aerotow and slope only.

With any luck maiden flight will be at Spring Cumberland Fly for Fun next month.

I got my wings done. Pair of Airtronics 94761s for ailerons, single 94322 for spoilers

Thank you.
// Dave