RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems
        Discussion GP micro F-86 Sabre chat thread

#1 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 04:05 PM

GP micro F-86 Sabre chat thread
 
Looks like we need a more friendly thread to talk about this great plane..

And what ever else is on your mind.. Usual chat rules,,, every post must be about something or other.. But no posts allowed about someone's post being off topic..

I have converted mine over to my standard micro Deans lay out and made up two Hyperion 240 packs for her...

Please read the corrected instruction manual, link below to down load it in pdf.. For the important update on the CG location.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...7&d=1333442506

#2 scribble79 Feb 14, 2012 05:46 PM

Bob did you get any of the foam melted or did your do enough protections to not burnt the connecter when changing over.

#3 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribble79 (Post 20746868)
Bob did you get any of the foam melted or did your do enough protections to not burnt the connecter when changing over.

I cut away the heat shrink with a sharp #11 X acto knife, then I took some aluminum foil about 5" X 5" and cut a little X in the middle for the Deans to fit through and used it to cover the area where I would be working. I then covered the whole plane with some wash cloths that I use for working on stuff here at the desk. I was able to unsolder and switch the wires. I then use some J-B KWIK to cover the wire/connector ends like I use on my heli's..

No damage to the plane at all..:):)

#4 IndyMatt Feb 14, 2012 07:30 PM

I am trying to decide whether to make an adaptor that will go from the Deans on the plane to my UMX batteries. Got the connectors and everything. Not sure which way to go here.

#5 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyMatt (Post 20747945)
I am trying to decide whether to make an adaptor that will go from the Deans on the plane to my UMX batteries. Got the connectors and everything. Not sure which way to go here.

I also gave a lot of thought to just changing it over so that I could use my Beast batteries.. But went with the switching the Deans over to my standard way.. I'll use my normal at home chargers and take the one that came with it with me in the truck so I can recharge from the cigarette lighter..

I did also look at making up a deans to Beast 2s balance adapter but didn't yet.. I'll see how it flies first and how long it looks like it's going to last me.. Hate to get too much stuff ready for it and then total it on the first flight..

I charged up the stock battery on the charger that came with it and it never shut off,, so I'll have to look into it more..

#6 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 08:14 PM

I have set mine up on the DX6i,, aileron, elevator and rudder all needed to be set to reverse..

Lots of power,,, it feels like without the wheels it might go unlimited vertical this was with the stock battery haven't try to see what the Hyperion 240's will do... But my wheels will stay on it..

I'm still very happy with it!!!:):):):)

I'm going to start off with 65% L and 85% H on rates and +15 and +25 on EXPO on E,A,R. after looking at the control throws I'm getting.

#7 pugsam Feb 14, 2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livonia bob (Post 20748134)
.....Hate to get too much stuff ready for it and then total it on the first flight.....

I want to laugh at that.........but it brings back painful memories........

:o

Good luck!

#8 IndyMatt Feb 14, 2012 08:36 PM

Tried it with my tactic 402 radio that came with my Fokker. It needs some programming to get it to work right, hopefully. The rudder is on the aileron throws and the ailerons are on the rudder throws. I did run it up and man does this thing sound mad! I ended up making a short adaptor from UMX to Deans. I tried the stock and hyperion batteries and there was a very noticeable difference between the stock (15C) and the hyperion (25C) batteries! This thing is going to have some awesome performance!

#9 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyMatt (Post 20748614)
Tried it with my tactic 402 radio that came with my Fokker. It needs some programming to get it to work right, hopefully. The rudder is on the aileron throws and the ailerons are on the rudder throws. I did run it up and man does this thing sound mad! I ended up making a short adaptor from UMX to Deans. I tried the stock and hyperion batteries and there was a very noticeable difference between the stock (15C) and the hyperion (25C) batteries! This thing is going to have some awesome performance!


I'm thinking the same thing,,, also sounds neat..

I'm going to use some of my thin clear Velcro to hold the battery in,,,, I don't trust the magnets when doing outside loops..:):):)

Hyperion 240's 16.0g Stock 200 13.5g not a bad trade off for the extra power..

#10 IndyMatt Feb 14, 2012 09:06 PM

I was thinking the same thing I did shake it upside pretty good and they held fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by livonia bob (Post 20748653)
I'm thinking the same thing,,, also sound neat..

I'm going to use some of my thin clear Velcro to hold the battery in,,,, I don't trust the magnets when doing outside loops..:):):)


#11 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyMatt (Post 20748914)
I was thinking the same thing I did shake it upside pretty good and they held fine.

I went ahead and did mine.. Don't want the battery sliding backwards on those high G takeoff rolls...:D:D

#12 livonia bob Feb 14, 2012 09:52 PM

Some interesting reading material..

http://www.wingweb.co.uk/aircraft/F-86_Sabre_Part1.html

#13 Entropy76 Feb 15, 2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livonia bob (Post 20748653)
I'm thinking the same thing,,, also sounds neat..

I'm going to use some of my thin clear Velcro to hold the battery in,,,, I don't trust the magnets when doing outside loops..:):):)

Hyperion 240's 16.0g Stock 200 13.5g not a bad trade off for the extra power..

Could you tell me the velcro you used? Or a link if its not too much trouble. Thanks.

#14 livonia bob Feb 15, 2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy76 (Post 20750326)
Could you tell me the velcro you used? Or a link if its not too much trouble. Thanks.

http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page...e-backed-clear

I get it at Wal Mart.. But most places will have it. it thin clear just the right thing for light weight batteries.. I get the 3 1/2" X 3/4" strips in the pack of 4 as they don't ever have the 10 pack..
http://www.velcro.com/uploads/images/product_91327.jpg

#15 livonia bob Feb 15, 2012 06:46 AM

Moved from closed thread
 
1 Attachment(s)
Picture of my box mod so that I can store the F-86 in the box with the landing gear attached..

Still wondering why they didn't mold these holes in the box for us..
Attached Thumbnails

Mod to box done using the Micro Therm Flameless heat gun to melt the holes..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.