RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Build Log Bald Eagle Project

#1 V1VrV2 Feb 05, 2012 08:55 PM

Bald Eagle Project

2 Attachment(s)
I am starting a new project for those interested in RC birds.

It is a 1 to 1 scale Bald Eagle and will incorporate a fiberglass fuselage using hard shell molds along with silicone molds for the feet. The wings will be built up from balsa with composite tip feathers. It is planned to be a tailess design. No vertical cheater fin if it can fly without it.

It is based on Bob Hoey's Turkey Vulture and on another gentlemans bird designs from Japan. Both have done extensive flight testing with "birds" and have had success with them.

If interested I will post the progress of the project on my blog page. I would do a thread but I am not sure how long the thing is going to take getting it off the building board, flight testing included.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the fuselage plug being built right now.

#2 jcats Feb 05, 2012 10:20 PM

I would love to see this project soar!

Soar!
Jun

#3 davidjensen Feb 06, 2012 04:53 PM

Are you going to have a clear plastic vertical fin?

#4 Lil Stinkpot Feb 07, 2012 07:47 AM

I like the glass eyes. Nice touch.

#5 aeronaut999 Feb 07, 2012 01:46 PM

O man the eagles are thick at my home site, they would go crazy over this thing.... Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by V1VrV2 (Post 20654330)
I am starting a new project for those interested in RC birds.

It is a 1 to 1 scale Bald Eagle and will incorporate a fiberglass fuselage using hard shell molds along with silicone molds for the feet. The wings will be built up from balsa with composite tip feathers. It is planned to be a tailess design. No vertical cheater fin if it can fly without it.

It is based on Bob Hoey's Turkey Vulture and on another gentlemans bird designs from Japan. Both have done extensive flight testing with "birds" and have had success with them.

If interested I will post the progress of the project on my blog page. I would do a thread but I am not sure how long the thing is going to take getting it off the building board, flight testing included.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the fuselage plug being built right now.

#6 aeronaut999 Feb 07, 2012 02:04 PM

moved

moved

#7 V1VrV2 Feb 07, 2012 07:25 PM

There will be no vertical fin if things work OK.

Here's a Youtube post of the Japanese Birds being tinkered with. This guy has built countless birds and control systems. All without vertical fins.

Oiseau rc bird type glider "condor" (1 min 22 sec)

:popcorn:

#8 V1VrV2 Feb 07, 2012 07:28 PM

Here's a link to Bob Hoey's Bird page:

http://www.twitt.org/1partdrib.html

#9 stoked6.0 Feb 07, 2012 08:10 PM

Does this mean I will finally be able to thermal like the birds?! Interesting project, look forward to the progress.

#10 V1VrV2 Feb 09, 2012 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making Progress...

#11 samwei1950 Feb 10, 2012 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by V1VrV2 (Post 20697669)
Making Progress...

Nice pic.love it:rolleyes:
bald eagle too:)
cheers
Sam

PICT0266

#12 granada don Feb 10, 2012 11:17 AM

Hi V1

That bird in the video flys real well without a rudder, looking forward to watching your eagle come to life.

Do you tune in to watch the real eagles on the live feed , google ' Eagles videocam from Decorah '. They are just about ready to take to the nest full time and get the babys going.

I like you sleek looking T tail sloper too.

G Don

#13 V1VrV2 Jul 20, 2012 06:03 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Finally have some time to work on finishing the Eagle project.

Finalized the detail carving and spent HOURS sanding and priming the body plug getting it ready for the next stage of pulling molds.

The wingtip feather mold plugs are finished and will have molds pulled at the same time.

Pictures attached of the primed body ready for setting the parting plane fixtures.

#14 ak79 Jul 20, 2012 06:05 PM

Someone has mad carving skills!!!!! Hat's off to you, that looks amazing!

#15 Lil Stinkpot Jul 21, 2012 10:20 AM

When you are finished, would you be willing to make another body and set of wingtips? This is amazing!