RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Warbirds
        Discussion Question for owners of multiple FMS 1400 models

#1 BadClams Jan 27, 2012 08:55 AM

Question for owners of multiple FMS 1400 models

Greetings!
I'm very interested in the 1400mm FMS birds but was curious to know from those of you that have experience with more than one of these models:

As newer models have been released, have you seen a trend toward better flight characteristics? Have they been improving things i.e. out-of-the-box ready to rock?

I know many folks enjoy tweaking (mods) to make things the way they like them, but MY interest is in trying to get a feel for whether or not people think these planes are REQUIRING less tweaking (as new ones have been introduced) to get them to "fly right". A part of my motivation here is noticing that you can get a pretty good deal on, say, the P-51s or P-40s right now, but I'm wondering if that will require more fiddling than if I went with a more recent model like the A6M3; or just waited on the FW-190 or ME-109 for that matter!!!

I really like the vibe I get from FMS as they seem very responsive to customer feedback on their products; just looking for opinions from folks as to how FMS has been doing when they've rolled out subsequent models.

Thanks for your input!

#2 BadClams Jan 27, 2012 07:20 PM

Bueller?

#3 fvi Jan 27, 2012 07:47 PM

Hey there,

I have a P-51 blue nose v.6 (Airfield brand from Nitroplanes). Although I'm not sure it flies any better than older versions it's got some extra features like retractable tail wheel and a new more realistic looking 4 bladed prop. Apparently there's a newer version that comes with flaps already and that's always a plus. I fly completely stock and always liked it, no bad tendencies and looks freaking beautiful in the air.

I think all of them are great flyers, the reviews here are always positive. Only the electronics seem to be an issue on occasion but it appears that they're getting better. Still, a lot of people here buy the kits and install their own. Installing external BEC's seem popular too.

I think the upcoming axis birds will be even better. Beltpilot did a superb job working with them to ensure everything is right and looking good. Everyone's is pretty hyped.

Hope this answers some questions.

Cheers

#4 TripleW Jan 27, 2012 08:00 PM

I've flown the P-51, Corsair, and the Zero. They all fly well. But I think the Zero would be a great one to start with. It's the easiest to land in my opinion. It probably has lighter wing loading.

#5 eli5539 Jan 27, 2012 09:18 PM

The Stuka is a great bird also

#6 gewiens Jan 27, 2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleW (Post 20560092)
I've flown the P-51, Corsair, and the Zero. They all fly well. But I think the Zero would be a great one to start with. It's the easiest to land in my opinion. It probably has lighter wing loading.

+1 on the easy to land.

#7 eggsplurt Jan 27, 2012 09:56 PM

For the sales that Nitroplanes runs on the airplanes that have been around awhile....P-51, P-47, P-40.....RTF or ARF...They can't be beat. The P-47 and P-51 are outstanding and I've never had a problem with any of these airplanes after a ton of flights....airframes or systems. Maybe just the retracts being a little fussy. I fly them bone stock RTF too and have only had trouble with the T-28's ESC being overloaded with a dozen servos. You can always modify them for detail and rigidity to your liking......Can't wait for the 190.......Steve

#8 paulrm Jan 28, 2012 12:47 AM

I have the Zero and fly it stock standard and love it. I have maidened for people the Corsair, Stuka, P51 (latest version) and the Trojan. In my opinion these ones all go great.

#9 raybaines Jan 28, 2012 01:29 AM

I now have quite a few of the 1400`s .
The only problem I have had was with one of the very early P-40`s.
Mechanical retracts and esc.
Since then I feel that their production has improved.
I recently completed their new P-38 Lightning and found it to be a delightful airframe
considering the complexity. It flies completely stock with great success !!

Ray.