RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multirotor Talk
        Discussion DJI F550 Hex Build, with 2-axis NEX-5N/GH2 Gimbal...

#1 GGoodrum Jan 26, 2012 06:36 PM

DJI F550 Hex Build, with 2-axis NEX-5N/GH2 Gimbal...
 
6 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd start a new build thread for the new DJI F550 hex frameset, along with the new 2-axis, belt-driven gimbal and landing gear setup I'm doing with Andrey (Askman...). This setup has a WK-M installed, and the gimbal is sized to fit a Sony NEX-5N/7, a Panasonic GH-2 or a Canon 550D.

The frame went together just like the F450 quad. The lower plate also acts as a power distribution plate for the six DJI ESCs. There's plenty of room for all the WK-M bits, and I've added a CC 10A programmable BEC that will drive the gimbal servo at 7.4V. This will be run on two 4s-3300 packs in parallel. For props, I will start with the 3-bladed GWS 9x5x3s, but I might switch to Graupner 10x5s, once they are back in stock at Graupner-USA, which I think is next week.

The gimbal/LG assembly shares a lot of common parts with the GoPro "inline" gimbal we are also doing for the F450 quad. The roll assembly/battery plate is identical. The only real difference is that the yoke is larger for the NEX/GH2 version. We will also be offering an option to use the GoPro-specific yoke on this hex setup, with the integrated LG.

The gimbal implementation uses 2:1 belt drives in each axis, and each axis uses high-speed, high resolution Hyperion digital servos that have been programmed for 180 degee operation and have the deadband timing "tuned" to the WK-M/Naza gimbal outputs.

Andrey just shipped what is shown in the pics to me this morning. Hopefully I'll get it on Saturday, in which case I will have it assembled and installed with the hex setup, and hopefully flying by Sunday. :)

-- Gary

#2 Tahoe Ed Jan 26, 2012 06:40 PM

Gary, looks nice. I am a little concerned about the size of the landing gear and the size of the hexa. The gear seems a little undersized. I will wait until the project is completed so you can show me why I am wrong.

#3 GGoodrum Jan 26, 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed (Post 20548939)
Gary, looks nice. I am a little concerned about the size of the landing gear and the size of the hexa. The gear seems a little undersized. I will wait until the project is completed so you can show me why I am wrong.

Hi Ed --

Actually, this interlocking design makes the LG very robust. It's one of the trademarks of Andrey's designs :) We weren't sure about the leg length, though, so this might change. Also, I plan on adding green and pink pool noodles to each skid, which helps with the stability.

I'm very happy with how well the vibration isolation scheme works on the F450 mount, and it is pretty much the same here. The difference is that the LG assembly is added, which mounts to the lower F550 plate.

I'll post some more pics, when I get it all together.

-- Gary

#4 askman Jan 26, 2012 08:11 PM

It is always easier to make it stronger at cost of weight, but not the other way . :) we will adjust as testing dictates :D

#5 sidneyw Jan 26, 2012 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The hexa will be available for dealer shipments late next week or week after next together with F330 quad.

My is setup with Waypoint.

#6 BayAreaCrasher Jan 26, 2012 10:08 PM

what is the pricing going to be on the frame sidneyw?

#7 sidneyw Jan 26, 2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemaLife (Post 20551012)
what is the pricing going to be on the frame sidneyw?

I'd say about $110 don't quote me... the factory/office is close for New Year until Monday.

#8 BayAreaCrasher Jan 26, 2012 10:24 PM

sweeet, that is a good price if that's where it's going to shake out.

#9 nicnaimless Jan 27, 2012 10:28 AM

Price?
 
Can I order this gimbal right now and if so please advise on price and delivery time to the US. Thanks in advance for any info.

#10 UAVProducts Jan 27, 2012 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Gary,

Looking good Gary. Tick Toc......;)

F550 Hexa is a very nice setup for the money. I'm have been having a blast with it.

#11 UAVProducts Jan 27, 2012 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course, this is a little extreme but I had it laying around.

The legs are all broken. I just wanted to see how it would "look".

#12 askman Jan 27, 2012 10:51 AM

Current plan is to begin sale in 2 week. that will give us time to test the LG/finalize that. The LG will have bolt on pan unit. (I am finalizing the design. have 2 different pan unit. one light weight and one heavy duty for DSLR ) 4;1 belt driven pan.

. Gimbal has been tested and pretty much finalized. I am waiting on material and will start the production next week, which should allow Gary some inventory by beginnig of sales. I am getting my 2nd CNC router back up to production ready as well this weekend (and re-organizing my shop) I will have few other offerings down the line. I will update my news on my blog here. I am sure Gary will have his website up and running soon as well. I won't have mine up until I get my full product line developed.

thanks for the interest.

#13 nicnaimless Jan 27, 2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rerazor (Post 20555020)
Of course, this is a little extreme but I had it laying around.

The legs are all broken. I just wanted to see how it would "look".

Nice. How soon till you have the 550 in stock?

#14 tom6696950 Jan 27, 2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGoodrum (Post 20548894)
Thought I'd start a new build thread for the new DJI F550 hex frameset, along with the new 2-axis, belt-driven gimbal and landing gear setup I'm doing with Andrey (Askman...). This setup has a WK-M installed, and the gimbal is sized to fit a Sony NEX-5N/7, a Panasonic GH-2 or a Canon 550D.

The frame went together just like the F450 quad. The lower plate also acts as a power distribution plate for the six DJI ESCs. There's plenty of room for all the WK-M bits, and I've added a CC 10A programmable BEC that will drive the gimbal servo at 7.4V. This will be run on two 4s-3300 packs in parallel. For props, I will start with the 3-bladed GWS 9x5x3s, but I might switch to Graupner 10x5s, once they are back in stock at Graupner-USA, which I think is next week.

The gimbal/LG assembly shares a lot of common parts with the GoPro "inline" gimbal we are also doing for the F450 quad. The roll assembly/battery plate is identical. The only real difference is that the yoke is larger for the NEX/GH2 version. We will also be offering an option to use the GoPro-specific yoke on this hex setup, with the integrated LG.

The gimbal implementation uses 2:1 belt drives in each axis, and each axis uses high-speed, high resolution Hyperion digital servos that have been programmed for 180 degee operation and have the deadband timing "tuned" to the WK-M/Naza gimbal outputs.

Andrey just shipped what is shown in the pics to me this morning. Hopefully I'll get it on Saturday, in which case I will have it assembled and installed with the hex setup, and hopefully flying by Sunday. :)

-- Gary

Gary do you no what the max size prop that will fit on this frame and good looking build Tom

#15 Paul@SCC Jan 27, 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askman (Post 20555097)
. Gimbal has been tested and pretty much finalized.

Do you have on board footage?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.