RC Groups

RC Groups
    Aerial Photography
        Discussion Messing around with a new quad frame design

#1 troynh Jan 08, 2012 05:05 PM

Messing around with a new quad frame design

3 Attachment(s)
A work in progress.

Camera's on the bottom, electronics in the middle. Avroto V.3's. Nothing is glued and the center disk's are missing. I'll keep posting as things get done.

-Tim

#2 shutternut Jan 08, 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troynh (Post 20361557)
A work in progress.

Camera's on the bottom, electronics in the middle. Avroto V.3's. Nothing is glued and the center disk's are missing. I'll keep posting as things get done.

-Tim

you have my interest, seems like it would be stable with the weight sitting well below the props. Nice joinery work! I will be following along with this build so keep us updated.

Rick

#3 quailbird Jan 08, 2012 09:12 PM

It really looks good Tim!

#4 SeismicCWave Jan 08, 2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troynh (Post 20361557)
A work in progress.

-Tim

I have a couple of thoughts. Since you have the motor mounting pads "elevated" why not think about mounting the motor upside down?

Since you are using wood, how about rounding off the edges and make them smoother and prettier.

#5 troynh Jan 09, 2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeismicCWave (Post 20365282)
I have a couple of thoughts. Since you have the motor mounting pads "elevated" why not think about mounting the motor upside down?

Since you are using wood, how about rounding off the edges and make them smoother and prettier.

1. Because the angle of the arm would hit the props.

2. I'm not done yet. I intend to round the edges. ;)

#6 w4Rd3n Jan 09, 2012 11:38 AM

looks awesome. ;)
i like to see frames made out of wood. i think for AP it is much better than carbon or aluminum.

#7 sparklet Jan 09, 2012 12:23 PM

I thought I was looking at the frame upside down.... then I realised. Those pads are the motor mounts NOT the feet... duoh!

Nice build, starting to look more like a bit of cabinet making :) :popcorn:

#8 KAMAX-T Jan 12, 2012 06:08 PM

Nice troynh , interesting design , :) keep us updated

Terry

#9 troynh Jan 14, 2012 04:19 PM

Version 2

1 Attachment(s)
So, I ditched the above frame due to the dadoed motor mounts/arms were warping. Two of the motors would have been off by more than 2 degrees. Fixable with washers but not acceptable.

I came up with this new frame today which has my standard "flat as a pancake" motor mount.

-Tim

#10 KAMAX-T Jan 14, 2012 11:16 PM

Looks good troynh , I often thought , that the low slung weight would be self-stabilizing ...? :confused: your thoughts on that ? anyway ......carry on..:popcorn:

love it ...Terry

#11 troynh Jan 15, 2012 06:56 AM

Not sure, I'll let you know. ;) Potential oscillations?

-Tim

#12 KAMAX-T Jan 15, 2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troynh (Post 20429260)
Not sure, I'll let you know. ;) Potential oscillations?

-Tim

Depends on the fc settings ....? But I'm sure theres' a sweet spot !;)

Terry